Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimnky

Looking for Alternative to Lower Power Bills 2 Story House Drafty

jimnky
11 years ago

I am looking for ways to reduce heating cost for my 2 story house. The house is roughly 1000 square feet on each floor. I primarily use only a couple of rooms downstairs and only the bathroom to do laundry upstairs. The downstairs is pretty open, the only room that actually has a door is a small bathroom. The original bedrooms were upstairs and have doors, but the upstairs is not really usable right now because of needed repairs and a medical condition that sometimes flares up.

The house was built in the early 1980s, but has poor insulation and a lot of leaks around doors and windows. In the summertime keeping the house very comfortable the power bill runs a reasonable $100 - $200. However, winter time power bills are outrageous. My last power bill was $320.00 for mid October - mid November. That is with all but two vents upstairs closed off and plastic already on about 1/3 of the windows. Average temps were probably 50s daytime / 30s night time. I keep the thermostat in the 68 - 70 degree range.

The three colder winter months will probably be in the $500 - $600 range. I have had power bills as high as $900 a couple of winters ago. The house has the original electric furnace. We have had about 3 increases in power company rates over the past five years. Prior to about 3 or 4 years ago a bad power bill for the house was in the $250 - $350 range. Not sure how much of current cost situation is due to rate increases, how much is due to moving almost completely downstairs about 4 years ago, and how much is due to stuff getting older / more worn out.

I know I need to replace several windows and probably both entry doors. The furnace may also need some work. However, I have not had the finances to do any of this stuff in the past few years. I also, do not want to put any significant investment in the house right now (even if I could). The house / property is completely paid for, however, I am considering career possibilities that may require a move. If I stay here I might actually consider tearing this house down and replacing it with a new one story structure in a few years.

I am currently the only one living in the house and I don't really care if I heat the upstairs at all other than for the sake of the plumbing in the bathroom. Downstairs I need to heat a combined living room / dining room (currently serving as bedroom and where most time is spent), kitchen, and a small bathroom. This probably encompasses about half of the total downstairs.

My total do something about it budget right now is only in the $300 - $400 dollar range. I have been looking at infrared heaters and notice some of them are getting cheaper. I found a Dr. Infrared 1500 Watt Quartz + PTC with what they call an advanced dual heating system for around $141. It has only a few reviews, but most of them are favorable. Does anyone have any experience with infrared heaters and specifically the Dr. Infrared brand? Would running this type of heater either standalone in only the parts of the house I want to heat or in combination with my current furnace (turning the thermostat down to say mid 50s) produce any significant savings?

I am thinking of maybe a couple of the infrared units and some smaller units for the bathrooms. Any suggestions on other alternatives? I would like to get my power bill at least back down to the $350 range for the coldest months.

Comments (5)

• jonnyp
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know where you are located, but utilities in my neck of the woods do energy audits for zip. They will tell you where your biggest problems are. Some offer free weather proofing and rebates on certain household fixtures. I would also look into the state level and find out what kind of energy improvements that you may qualify for.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

invest in a blower door test to identify the
    air leakage sites in the house. then invest
    in caulk gun & cases of caulk.

so you have some type of heating system in
    place already. what type?

is electric your only fuel source for heating
    just the area you plan to live in?

where are you located?

best of luck.

• big_al_41
    11 years ago

Don't know about your area, but here in Connecticut we are allowed to pick a alternate supplier of our electric. Our main supplier still bills us and does all the repairs if needed etc BUT the supply rate is cheaper... granted it's pennies less per KWH but a penny here and penny there soon adds up to real money saved. Go to your main supplier of your electric and see if they offer a aggregator to lower your KWH cost.Note if they do find one that has a min of 6 months contract so the price is firm and wont go up even tho your main suppliers might. I have been using an aggregator for years and trust me it makes a difference here ...good luck and OH, BTW there is and should be no cost to choose an aggregator.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aggregators

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

Wow! if ratepayers in my area could chose utiity
    providers they would leave the big providers
    and go with the co-op. until recently I never
    realized other areas offered this option. I'd
    better revise my captive rate payers statements!

keep in mind that free audits and reduced walk
    thru audits focus on what is refered to as
    low hanging fruit. to get more than generalized
    information, you should consider an independent
    professional.

hearing/reading stories of these less than
    helpful audits is commonplace in the past year.

resnet.us is a place to start.
    you'll want someone experienced in existing
    homes, and that will include duct testing
    & recommendations of how to seal leakage areas.
    referals to companies they work sucessfully
    with is always a plus.

best of luck.

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

energy rater,

The choice (here in MD) is for the Generation Source ONLY. The local power company (Monopoly) is the only choice for distribution and is one who is regulated by the state as far as rates charged.

In MD there were a couple of possible sources that were found to be using deceptive practices in attempting to get customers to choose them as their provider.

All in all, I have re-visited my options every six months and have never opted to choose and alternate source. The savings just weren't there when also weighing the risks of essentially unregulated generation rate increases.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the situation in other states or even with other power companies within my own State of MD.

YMMV