Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyberkat_gw

***Replacing existing AC***

Cyberkat
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Need a little help here please!! I am replacing my existing 3 ton RUUD AC with a new unit for my 1250 sq ft town-home (built 1982) in Houston, TX . Of the quotes I've received I am most interested in the one for a Trane XB16 unit / Coil or AHU 4TX fit. This would be a single stage, 3 ton unit which would be matched up to a York gas furnace model #TMLX080C16MP11 with a X-13 blower.

1) Is the XB16 a good match to my 4 yr old furnace?

2) One person quoting for the job said I could only get a 13 or 14 SEER with my existing furnace & the Trane quote says the XB16 will get me a 16 SEER? Which is correct?

3) Is the XB16 a "Builder Grade" unit & if so, how important is that?

Comments (5)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>2) One person quoting for the job said I could only get a 13 or 14 SEER with my existing furnace & the Trane quote says the XB16 will get me a 16 SEER? Which is correct?

If you post the model numbers of the quoted units I can look up this information and verify or disprove their claims. It depends on sizing.

>3) Is the XB16 a "Builder Grade" unit & if so, how important is that?

Yes it's builder grade. Noisier, cheaper built, cheaper components, and less protection than the higher end units. I would want something nicer if you can swing it.

• Cyberkat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks hvtech42.
    I do not have the model numbers but I'll request them and let you know. All my other quotes just said "American Standard", "Ruud", etc; the Trane quote actually gave me the most info on my quote but the model # was not included. I was also given a quote for the XR16, are we still looking at builders grade with that one?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Stick with a good basic 13 SEER R410 model condenser. Not a fan of the XB series of Trane condensers.

Trane XR13, AmStandard Allegiance 13, Carrier Performance 13, Bryant Preferred 13 all with matching evap coil of same brand. These are all middle of the road quality condensers. With the X-13 blower motor you will get at least a 1 pt bump in SEER.

I don't understand the sizing of either the York furnace or the need for a 3 ton condenser.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 6:05

• mike_home
    9 years ago

"1) Is the XB16 a good match to my 4 yr old furnace?

2) One person quoting for the job said I could only get a 13 or 14 SEER with my existing furnace & the Trane quote says the XB16 will get me a 16 SEER? Which is correct?"

The SEER rating is a measure of the efficiency of a condenser, coil, and furnace or air handler. The ratings are available for sets of equipment from the same manufacturer. If you connect a new condenser to a furnace of another manufacturer then there is no published SEER rating. In order to achieve 16 SEER the furnace would have to be variable speed. If the York furnace is a fixed speed you may not even reach 13 SEER.

You don't have a valid quote unless all the model numbers are available. I would be suspect of the contractor who told you could achieve a 16 SEER rating with your York furnace.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Sorry, I was asleep at the wheel there, for some reason forgot the condenser would be a different brand when I wrote that. Yes Mike is right that there is no published rating with the York furnace. It certainly is possible to get 16 SEER with an X13 blower (York can do it in certain matches with their condensers), but there is no way to prove the Trane 16 SEER would actually get that with your furnace. I agree with tigerdunes, get a good basic 13 SEER unit. XR13 is nice and definitely not builders grade.