Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retrofit 5" filter HVAC cabinet?

Posted by Stigwort (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 22:23

I am installing a new Lennox gas furnace (with new AC) in my walkout basement. I opted for the standard 1" filter, but was wondering whether it is possible to install the furnace such that a 5" filter cabinet could be easily installed at a later date.

The item itself seems cheap ($100): http://www.amazon.com/Lennox-HCC20-28-Healthy-Climate-Cabinet/dp/B004X4UNOM

But the HVAC contractor wanted $700, and said that later is would be $1700.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retrofit 5" filter HVAC cabinet?

It is hard to say how difficult it would be without seeing the installation. I assume the return duct work would have to be reconfigured.

Is the furnace near a wall? I don't understand why it would cost so much unless he had to move the furnace in order to get the larger duct work to fit. Have the contractor explain to you the reason for his price.

o

Both prices are high. You could get a less expensive media cabinet like Honeywell 200. Installed at time of furnace should not exceed $500. Now is the time, not later which will cost you more.

Talk to your dealer. What model cabinet was he quoting?

IMO

o

He was quoting a LENNOX HCC20-28 HIGH CAPACITY AIRCLEANER; there is plenty of room to put the furnace where he likes. I don't understand the issue in making sure it will be easy to install later. But I found Permanent Washable Furnace Filters & Air Conditioner Filters, so may stick with the 1" and just use these.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here