Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baseboard alternatives...radiators? radiant?

Posted by kdw72697 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 22:22

Hi Gardenwebbers,

I'm looking for alternatives to hot water baseboard and hope you have some advice.

The primary source of heat in my kitchen/dining area is a 14' run of old (1920s) cast iron hot water baseboard. Some time in the next year or so, a set of sliding glass doors will need to be installed right in the middle of this wall.

If I remove the cast iron baseboard altogether, I will be left with just a 10' run of 1990s builder-grade baseboard on another wall, which will not be sufficient to heat the whole space.

There is no other wall to which I could move it.

Do they make old fashioned steam radiators that work with hot water systems? I could fit 2 radiators on either side of the sliding doors-to-be.

Or, could radiant heating take the place of the cast iron baseboard? There;'s an unfinished basement below the room in question, so it's totally accessible.

Any advice welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baseboard alternatives...radiators? radiant?

You could install radiant heating to supplement or even replace your current baseboard heater. You will need to rip up and replace your kitchen floor to do this.

Below is a link of a company which sells made to order radiators. You can fit the radiators next to the door and make them look good at the same time.

There are small companies which recondition old radiators. You may be able to find one which has a radiator you could use. This may be a cheaper solution and could complement your 1920s house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Runtal North America

o

I would look at the product linked below or something else from Jaga that would do the job.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: Jaga USA

o

thanks!!! good info. i have time to do a little research; thanks for getting me started.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here