Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

txv

bus_driver
9 years ago

HVAC is not my trade. One of my neighbors called an HVAC contractor that I do not use anymore. His house is about 1400 square feet with one heat pump, a Trane about 11 years old. It quit heating except with the strip heat. They told him that both TXV were bad, both inside and out.
I do know about the TXV used on some of the indoor coils but have never heard of a TXV on the outdoor unit. At the moment, I think either he is confused about what they told him or they simply lied to him. Is there a TXV on the outside?

Comments (5)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Yes, there is a such thing as an outdoor TXV on heat pumps.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the clarification.

• klem1
    9 years ago

Hello bus, some do and some don't but a gearhead such as yourself would easlily recconize the txv amoung other componenets once you see a few pictures of them. The sensing bulb that lies next to low line set's it apart from look-a-likes such as reversing valves. The larger question in my mind at least is why/how both failed at the same time. Not saying they couldn't,just that there would almost certainly be an underlying reason that would still exist after both devices have been replaced. To get an idea of how uncommon it is to have a txv fail,ask the part house how many they stock compared to other parts. Stack that on top of the fact there is no reason for one to fail simply because the other did and you have reason to be concurned for yor neighbor. Without all the answers going in this can quickly turn into an expenxive "throwing parts at it" game.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The responses are appreciated. I question if any TXV is faulty at the neighbors. But am not enough of an expert to effectively argue with one who says that it is. What I am told is that the first ":technician" on the scene said that the TXV (both? ) is bad and the "freon" is low. Quoted $956.00 for repairs and put it in writing. Neighbor said the "technician" looked like a kid and told him he completed school in May-- not sure what kind of school. So neighbor requested a more experienced technician and a fellow in his 50s plus the kid came back. Older guy spotted oil drip from refrigerant line within the housing of the outdoor unit and the kid commented that he had seen it at the first visit but had not mentioned it.
    Had not added any refrigerant.
    I do not see how a TXV could be diagnosed on a non-operating system but perhaps it is possible .
    Neighbor called another contractor who quoted $675 for the needed repairs and neighbor agreed. They plan to repair the leak and ?.
    Sounds steep to me. TXV prices online are quite modest. But this system might have R-22 and contractors now have steep prices for it.

• countryboymo
    9 years ago

I just had the txv replaced on the outside unit earlier today. I had cooling but in heat mode it would trip off on high pressure limit because either a blockage in the txv or the capillary tube had a rub spot that might have been deep enough to cause a leak. It works great now.