Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kath1750

high pressure reset on heat pump

kath1750
9 years ago

Hello

My 2005 rheem heat pump cycled on once for heat then high pressure locks it out. It did it once at beginning of summer and freon charge solved it. Had tech today who added small amt if freon not sure how low freon causing high pressure. Worked a few hours now not.
Air handler comes on.
Filters always clean
Tech mostly interested in installing entire new sysyem...expensive!

Someone suggested run capacitor needed checking_?

Any advice welcome

Thanks in advance

Comments (6)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>It did it once at beginning of summer and freon charge solved it. Had tech today who added small amt if freon not sure how low freon causing high pressure

First off, it sounds like you've been the victim of a "gas and go". VERY bad practice that unfortunately is seen all too often in the industry. This is when refrigerant is simply added to a system without doing a thorough diagnosis to determine why the refrigerant is missing, or in the worst cases, not even figuring out if there _is_ any refrigerant missing.

>Tech mostly interested in installing entire new sysyem...expensive!

That's no tech... that's a salesman in a tech's costume! I would not let him in your house again. Call a different company. Of course check the basics, Yelp, Angie's List, BBB, etc. but most importantly, talk to neighbors and friends and find out who they have had good experiences with.

>My 2005 rheem heat pump cycled on once for heat then high pressure locks it out

Are you sure it's the high pressure switch that's been tripping? The low pressure switch is what would trip if you were low on refrigerant. The high pressure switch could trip for a multitude of reasons, and you need a good tech to figure out which one.

>Someone suggested run capacitor needed checking_?

The capacitor _could_ cause cause the high pressure switch to trip by way of condenser fan motor failure, but that is just one of many possible causes.

Good luck getting it fixed!

• kath1750
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I live in very rural area w very few choices for HVAC. I can assure you THAT company will not be back.

I only know of high pressure reset BC its red button on outside of unit. If I press it outside unit will run one cycle. Which I am not doing as whatever is cutting it off I know is to protect it.

Hope to find another company soon 28ð tomorrow : (

Thanks for your input

• kath1750
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your reply.

My usual HVAC was out of town so couldn't reach him. He was back today and came out.

As you and I suspected the other guys were sales men in tech outfits.

My guy diagnosed overcharge of freon put gauges on (differently than other guys by the way) got high pressure. Reduced freon ran it w gauges no high pressure.

He refuted everything they said
    Do I have freon leak? Yes but no way to know where could be any where
    My guy: yes right here but very minor now we will worry about that later

Is their restriction somewhere? Probably but no idea where got to take it out and replace entire units
    My guy: maybe don't think so, if so it would be here or here, pointing to parts. No restriction.

His bill to me 0$ HD said he can't charge for reducing freon just not that big of deal. As I said I'm in very rural area. He comes at least 40 mins away

He's never done me wrong, honest, intelligent people do exist
    He will get a thank you Thanksgiving bonus as I had no cash on me to day

12 hrs later still working

Thanks for your input

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

My guy: yes right here but very minor now we will worry about that later

If there is a freon leak, it should be located and repaired now, not later. Don't understand why he left like that. Glad your problem seems resolved though.

IMO

• kath1750
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in an extremely rural area. He is small business. He had just got back home. He showed me where my small leak is.
    He is coming back next week to fix it, general service. He was working alone trying to get me heat as temp was to be 25ð that night.
    He lives an entire county west of me and was trying to get everyone in my county heat working for this cold spell.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

You have a good tech. I just did not want that possible leak to be ignored and go unrepaired.

Good Luck

IMO