Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
diy hvac replacement

Posted by davefr (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 5, 06 at 19:08

I'd like to replace my 25 year old Carrier 4T heat pump and evaporator coil. (no changes to duct work and the manual load J still says 4T is right).

I'm in a state of shock after getting a $10k quote from Carrier.

I found this program where you buy all the components and do the electrical and mechanical and they get a local contractor to braze the final connections and charge it up for around $100-300:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewcategory_home.cfm

I'd be more inclined to have a contractor do it all but I'm not changing any wiring, controls, ductwork, capacity changes, etc. All I want is a refresh of condensor, evaporator and lineset because my 25 yr old HP is probably living on borroed time.

Has anyone gone the DIY route on HVAC??

Is the Goodman brand OK?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: diy hvac replacement

Im buying a goodman 3 ton condenser,69000btu 95.5% efficency, 2-stage burner, variable speed blower,4ton evaporator coil. im having 2 frinds install it for me ones a journetmen sheetmetal worker the other is a journeymen hvac tech. then its going to becheck and started by my girlfriends siters boyfriend whos a contactor. I would never attempt this with out the help of some pros. Im buying my stuff at alpine gl.

o
oops

What I should have said was that i would never attempt this at all i wont be much help to them. I also buying a 3 ton evap coil from the same place gl with your prob

o

I'm currently installing a two stage, 93% efficient Goodman 60K/90K propane furnace topped by a new 14 SEER 3.5 ton A/C system myself - This is my third DIY install and all have included the electrical and the plumbing, though I do have a pro do the brazing and charge the systems

I bought the Goodman furnace, the cased coil, the condensing unit and lineset, a $200 computerized thermostat, a media air cleaner and several other accessories delivered to my door for $3200 - I'll have about $4500 in this install when I'm done and that's way less than 1/2 of the lowest quote I got

It's not rocket science . . . . though sometimes they try to charge you like it was ;-)

Don

o

Thanks for the meaningful discussion. You simply mention DIY in other HVAC forums and all h*ll breaks loose. It's as though they feel homeowners can't even change furnace filters themselves.

Once again my plan is to simply replace HP, A-coil and lineset and have a local tech do final charging and checkout.

No control system changes, no ducting changes, no electrical supply changes, no air handler changes other then to change A coil, and no consensate routing changes.

The 3 components will cost me approx. $2500 and I will budget $500 for the final charging. (even though they estimate $100-300).

Carrier quoted me between $9500 and $11000 for the same job but they included an whole new air handler. (they won't even replace my existing linset in thier quote).

$7500+ savings is not to be ignored IMHO.

o

Hello,
Carrier for $10k, I would get more bids. This equipment is on the high end of my estimates, but not that high. $3500-5000 for ANY brand 3-ton 13 SEER system. The 95% furnace may be more expensive,($1k higher) but not that much.

o

I had 3 bids on Carrier systems, all the same - 3 ton heat pump, matching air handler, whole house filter, new thermostat, new frig lines. The bid ranged from $9100 to $9600. DIY is really the way to go.

o

I've done two DIY HVAC jobs on my house over the years, all with Goodman equipment.

First job was to add on AC to a FHA system in my attic. Did that for well under a grand. About 1/4th the cost of quotes I received.

A couple years ago, I replaced my downstairs furnace with a new high efficiency Goodman furnace. Used a cased coil and 2.5 ton compressor. Again, did the job for less than a quarter of what the pros charge.

I hired a HVAC guy to braze the refrigerant lines, evacuate and charge the system. I did everything else.

I'd recommend looking on ebay for your equipment. I found sellers there to be much cheaper than Alpine.

o

be sure to match the electrical demands to the new high E unit. your 25 Year old heat pump will have a MUCH larger breaker than is allowed by the new system.
I have no problems with DIY, as long as they only go by the book on installs. your system sounds like a perfect diy changeout. the new High E systems need matched coils and rated airflow.
ask us the questions, and we will try to help.
John

o

Be careful when your order comes, inspect it completely. I had a complete system come damaged, It looked fine, but when I unwrapped it, it was completely damaged, and would cost more to repair than to just replace. Freight company refused to pay anymore than 300$ and so now I'm $600 in the hole. Just my 2 cents.

o

These are obviously some of the success stories however there are probably many many horror stories with do it yourself installs. Just because you did does not mean everyone can and by putting this info online you may be putting folks in harms way. It's obvious you all are very proud of yourselves but who rally cares?

o

I am a DIY'er and shade tree mechanic , from way back . I installed my present HVAC system and hired a tech to solder it up and vac it down / start it up .

Presently thinking about experimenting with a high SEER mini-split .

God bless
Wyr

o
diy hvac replacement -) Oversized Electrical

It is possible the electrical may be over sized , if you install more efficient out door unit . Just replace either the circuit breaker feeding it with a new one , sized to the max on the condenser label .

Or install a fused disconnect on the outside , fused according to the condenser max .

The wire being over sized , hurts nothing , as long as the lugs on the effected devices are large enough to accommodate the existing wire size .

God bless
Wyr

PS Some brands of circuit breakers are pretty expensive . In that case the fused disconnect & fuses may the the more economical rout .

This post was edited by WyrTwister on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 8:48

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here