Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobjones123_gw

furnace quote

bobjones123
11 years ago

Got a couple quotes today after my armstrong 90 decided to shut down for good.

One was for a Heil 95% AFUE 100,000 BTU installed for $3200.

The other was a Ruud Achiever� Series 90 Plus� 95% AFUE Upflow Gas Furnace 90,000BTU for $3800.

No duct work. Just taking out the old and putting in the new.

My house is 2100 square foot built in 1997.

The Heil guy could not tell me the model just that it would be here tommorrow. I didnt like that. He didnt look at the duct work just assumed 100,000 BTU's is what I need because that is what I have in the armstrong.

This is for NY and trust me its cold here. The Ruud guy said looked at my vents and duct work and walked around the house. Calculated my square footage and said I need only 90,000BTUs. This Ruud would be single stage. No other tests were conducted.

It's cold here :) I know a couple companies to avoid but no one can really recommend anybody good. I have a friend who used the Ruud guy and he has no problems so far.

Are these quotes outrageous or decent?

Comments (10)

• bobjones123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Please help.......getting colder.........

• mike_home
    11 years ago

I don't like the way the Heil contractor operates. He is giving you no information and wants to install an oversized furnace. Heil furnaces are considered lower end equipment.

The price for the Rudd furnace seems reasonable. I think this furnace is also oversized. You could probably move down to the 75,000 BTU size and still be very comfortable.

• bobjones123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Really move down in size from 90K? I have been running alot of online calculators (I know doesnt mean much) and I fear I am too small at 90K for 95%. I am multiplying 2100 (square footage) x 50 (btu's needed per square foot for my zone) for 105000 btu per foot needed.

This Ruud is going to give me at 95% of 90000 btus about 85500. Now I really am no expert but that seems a little low. My house was built in '97 with 2x6s and I have added insulation to the attic and crawl spaces (While keeping ventilation open). My windows are decent but huge and I have alot of them. Also have a porch french door, three pass doors, and a slider on the walkout basement. I just called this guy today and he insists 90000BTU at 90 is enough.

Where is he getting that from? I know the basement doesnt count but my basement is 1330 square foot with 900 of it finished and I have four heat vents down there. I did do some calculations but it didn't seem like a full manual J calc.

I have zero people around here recommended. Only have heard of people to stay away from.

Growing frustrated and it's cold. $3800 for this seems like alot. I see I can get the same furnace on the net delivered to my house for $1600 including shipping. No I realize I need someone to put it in that knows what they are doing so I will add a grand on to that plus some nickel and dime stuff. I really don't see how more than 3K is reasonable. But hey don't have alot of options at the moment. The reviews of these Ruuds seem good at least. I should mention this is a single stage model. Any advice at all from installers or knowledgeable folks is appreciated. I eliminated the Heir guy and believe he was a scam artist.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

You are trying to size your furnace by using the rule of thumb based on the area of the house. This method does not yield accurate results. Most of the time it will oversize the equipment. The proper way to do the calculation is to do heat calculation. This involves taking measurements of windows, walls, and floors, adding the insulation values of your ceiling and walls, and entering the data into a software program.

It sounds like your house has above average insulation. The 90K BTU furnace is more than adequate.

You may be able to find someone for a little less money. But I recommend you do not go with the lowest bid. The busy season has begun. It is hard to negotiate with HVAC contractors who have customers waiting for their furnaces to be fixed.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Both quotes oversized.

Certainly no more than 80 KBTU at 95% efficiency.

If price is not the driving factor, I would want a two stg with var speed blower motor and true 2 stage thermostat.

What is your location?

IMO

• bobjones123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Location is central ny. Gets pretty cold here. Attic floor is r-30. House is a cape cod. Side attics insulated at roof side with r-30. But have a big gap below the sheathing to allow air flow to the ridge vent in the attic. Outside walls are r-19. All fiberglass insulation. The two stage quotes were 4400 for the Rudd with same specs then 4900 for same specs but a Rudd two stage with ecm. I'm just concerned they r way out in left field. I found the Rudd 90000 for 1600 with shipping. Is installation usually this high? Anytbody know anything about ruuds?

• bobjones123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Location is central ny. Gets pretty cold here. Attic floor is r-30. House is a cape cod. Side attics insulated at roof side with r-30. But have a big gap below the sheathing to allow air flow to the ridge vent in the attic. Outside walls are r-19. All fiberglass insulation. The two stage quotes were 4400 for the Rudd with same specs then 4900 for same specs but a Rudd two stage with ecm. I'm just concerned they r way out in left field. I found the Rudd 90000 for 1600 with shipping. Is installation usually this high? Anytbody know anything about ruuds?

• bobjones123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• PRO
    CJ Mechanical of North jersey llc.
    11 years ago

Im Ruud/Rheem dealer. my qoute for north jersey and a small business owner.
    I would not bother with any single stage systems.
    My most popular install is the RGRM series 2 stage, variable speed. unit plus tax $ 1600
    materials chimney $300, gas/elcetric $ 50, duct $ 50,drain $ 50,misc $ 50 Total $ 500 $ 2100 my oh 25 to 40%.
    2100 plus 30% $ 2730 labor 800 per day 1.5 days $ 1200 Total cost of job $ 3,930
    I insiste on a external filtration F-100 20x25x4" $ 300
    humidification M-600 $ 450
    This is what i would put in my house For $ 4680
    variable speed units need a good duct system. If you have a poor duct system then go with a standard motor.
    ( cost from standard gas valve to 2 stage is around $ 250
    and standard blower to a ECM $ 300)
    being certified in airflow 1" filters are the thing of the past.

• hamconsulting
    11 years ago

Bob: Which furnace did u go with?

Coolmen: Thanks for your pricing breakdown. Sometimes us homeowners forget that there are screws, tape, duct, valves, wires, hoses, leveling feet, pads, etc. that are needed to install a furnace. So, we see the price online for $1600 for a gas furnace and wonder why it costs $3800 to replace an existing one. Also, we homeowners think that replacing an existing furnace only takes a day not 1.5 days.