Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackie24689

Need a new boiler-what kind

jackie24689
10 years ago

Hi,

I have to replace my oil boiler which is about 60years old ( I think) as it does no longer meet codes, I cannot get any more oil delivered unless I can fix the problem. Since my water heat is oil and 16 years old it will have to also be replaced. The boiler is a Hoffman net btu 101260.It has been serviced every year and runs well. It is not the boiler but the exhaust pipe that is too close to the outside brick wall and inside dividing wall which is load bearing. If I removed the studs on the outside wall it would be about 5 inch from brick wall which would be alright but the interior load bearing wall is a problem. I need to be 10 inches from this wall. I can replace the studs with metal supports but I still will be too close to the wall. The furnace cannot be moved as it was built in place. The oil company just said I need a new furnace and did not make any other suggestions. I have been told the pipe has to be 10 inches from any combustible material. I spend about 3000.00 on oil. I am told that I will save about $1000.00 a year and it is a long payback period, even if I do save that much a year.
I am looking at changing to propane(no natural gas) from oil. I have been given 3 options and have got 3 quotes, all somewhat different. -condensing boiler with indirect hot water heater.

- IBC 115 propane boiler with indirect Eco- wh-most expensive about 10,000.
-normal boiler(LarrsJVS propane. Eco WH) with indirect hot water heater- about 9000.00
- put in a force air system which also give me airconditioning-10,000.

This is a major investment and I want to get it right. I have a brick house about 60 years old, about 1000 sq. feet., with OK windows and good insulation in attic.I have baseboard fin rads. I have read that you do not get the full efficiency from a condensing boiler with this type of baseboard heater as it requires higher temperatures than 137 where condensing starts. I have also ready that installation really matters with the condensing boiler and they can break more. Also is it correct that you do not need a thermostat with a condensing boiler as it has been included in some quotes but not in others. I have also been told by one contractor that condensing boilers do not need yearly maintenance which or thermostat. I have attached a picture of the boiler and pipe

Any suggestions would greatly appreciated(I am a single woman 60+ and not to handy).

Thanks, Jackie

Comments (3)