Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on Carrier Units and Costs

Posted by omahagirl (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 18:08

I realize this is a busy time of year but I was hoping to obtain some advice on two Carrier Performance Series furnace and ac units and their respective costs. I try to do a lot of research on my own but this is a field where I have no experience and the amount of options and information is overwhelming and therefore, would greatly appreciate an expert's opinion.

The HVAC gentleman prepared 3 estimates, good, better and best. i am looking at the better option. Below are the quotes I received for the better and best options:

OPTION 1 - BETTER:
24ABC630A003 AC 16 SEER
59SP5A060E 96% Efficient Gas Furnace
Programmable Thermostat
Copper Line Set
PAD
Whip
Disconnect
PVC
Sheet Metal
Labor

TOTAL: $6065 with $400 tax credit
WITH HEAT PUMP: ADD $600 with a $500 tax credit.

OPTION 2 - BEST
24ANB736A003 AC 17 SEER
59MN7A060VI7-14 9% Efficient Gas Furnace
Copper Line Set
PAD
Whip
Disconnect
PVC
Sheet Metal
Labor

TOTAL: $10,060 with $400 tax credit
WITH HEAT PUMP: ADD $600 with a $500 tax credit.
$1,000 REBATE WITH AC
$1,100 REBATE HEAT PUMP

The estimates seemed a little high, but perhaps I am naive and already stretched financially. I have no problem paying a fair price for good work and integrity as I respect both immensely. Also, I really don't know if a heat pump is a good investment and would also appreciate advice on the purchase of one for the Omaha, NE area.

Thanks so much!
Monica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on Carrier Units and Costs

I did a little research on the Carrier model. Here is what I have come up with:

24ABC630A003 AC (Base model)
59SP5A060E Gas Furnace (Newest Performance model)

The furnace has two-stages and from the literature seems to be a good selection. The AC is a Base model. This is basically a builder's grade unit. I recommend spending a little more money and upgrading to a Comfort or Performance model. If humidity is a problem in the summer then I recommend getting a two-stage AC.

24ANB736A003 AC 17 (Infinity AC)
59MN7A060VI7-14 Gas Furnace (Newest Infinity furnace)

This is Carrier's best equipment. The AC has two-stages. The furnace has three-stages. This is a very nice set up. The price seems high. Is the Infinity controller included in this option?

You need to look at your costs for electricity and gas in order to determine whether it makes sense to upgrade to a heat pump. A heat pump and a 95%+ AFUE furnace is usually overkill. Post the costs so can get advice from the heat pump experts.

o
RE: Advice on Carrier Units and Costs

I like the better quote with the heatpump. If they would upgrade the outdoor model for a few hundred bucks I would consider that too.

The heatpump would provide comfy and efficient heat for the mild cooler weather 35 and above and the efficient gas furnace for when it is colder. In case gas gets expensive in the future the heatpump can protect some. Currently gas is cheap and electricity is trending upwards.

Even with 12 cent KWH electricity today's high efficient heatpumps are cost effective to run in the milder temperatures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here