Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comparing geothermal to ultra high efficiency conventional

Posted by marrt (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 3, 11 at 18:04

I'm going through the exercise of comparing geothermal to conventional. Here are the details:

Propane rate: $2.55/gallon
Electric rate: $.115 per kilowatt hour

Geothermal: After rebates/tax credits, the geothermal system is about $23,000 installed for two WaterFurnace 3 ton two-stage units with electric auxiliary heaters. One unit includes a desuperheater to help with hot water.

Conventional: The conventional units are Carrier Infinity 20 Seer heat pumps with a 95% efficiency propane furnace for auxiliary heat. Installed price after rebates is about $17,000.

To my amazement, there's no place online where I can compare the payback of these two systems. Conventional wisdom suggests the geothermal system is the way to go. But my HVAC guy is saying the conventional system will be just as efficient for $6K less. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comparing geothermal to ultra high efficiency conventional

At that price, I'd probably do geo. The big advantage is that you system will last longer.

It is not that easy to compare HE with geo which is why you don't find an online comparison. My personal guess is that you are within 10% of each other in the summer and 20% less with geo in the winter. So if your house is tight, this might just be $200 a year so the payback for geo is 30 years. But - and this is a big but - the geo unit will last twice as long so as soon as you have to replace a unit (15? years), then geo comes out ahead.

People may disagree but I live in NC - a bit warmer than you - have 16 seer HPs (with NG backup) and spend roughly $700 a year to heat 5000 sqft. If I had propane, it would be $850. So that is where 20% really isn't a lot of money ($170 to be exact). I spend about $700 to a/c so another $70 for summer. You see why the payback is so long.....

Now the desuperheater may tip the balance. I have no idea what that saves but it could be $300 a year. That would shorten payback significantly (obviously). Or you could go solar for $3k (at least with my tax credits) and save yourself $400 a year.....

o

David Cary pretty much said it all. I would go either with an all-electric Carrier Infinity GreenSpeed system or geothermal and be happy with either choice - if properly installed!

$23k for 2-3ton systems is MOST reasonable. However, there are no details of the ground loop system.

I would install the desuperheater on both HPs, that way you will be producing DHW whichever HP is running.

SR

o

Marry

This is new home construction?

I personally would weigh geothermal with the Fed Govt tax credit versus Carrier's new Greenspeed HP-no credit. Forget the propane for backup.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here