Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snjhvac

HVAC Quotes?

SNJHVAC
11 years ago

I am investigating the replacement of my 17 year old HVAC system. The original system was installed by the builder and I only know it is an 80,000 BTU furnace. I have no idea what the ton rating is on the AC unit.

A large, well known HVAC contractor handed me a quote today for a Hybrid Dual Fuel system. As I understand it the heat pump runs until the demand is more than it can handle efficiently then it starts to use the natural gas furnace. The system components are Carrier and the total job was to include air sealing the home as well as adding insulation in the attic and replacing our 17 year old tank water heater with a Bradford White power vent 40 gallon water heater. The bid came in at just under 24,000 dollars which I will admit set me back on my heels a bit. This is a 4 bedroom house built new in 1996 in Southern, NJ. The square footage is just under 2000. Any thoughts or informed opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• mike_home
    11 years ago

The price is outrageous even for NJ. Is this being done as part of the NJ Energy Star Program?

My first advice is to get a detailed quote with all model numbers and sizes. The HVAC quote should be separate from the insulation quote.

A dual fuel system may be a good idea depending on your gas and electric rates. NJ tends to have higher than average electric rates. There is a small window of temperatures where a heat pump is more economical than a 95%+ efficiency furnace. You may not see a payback on installing a heat pump.

Be aware a hot water heater with a power vent will not operate during a power blackout. This may be important to you.

• veesubotee
    11 years ago

Hmmm. Company name begin wit 'H'?

Do you have model numbers on the estimate?

• pditty1995
    11 years ago

I'm having a similar issue however I'm just south of Pittsburgh,Pa and doing a new construction. The home I'm building is a 3000 sq. ft ranch with the identical footprint in the basement. Of which only 2500 sq. ft will be finished there. It's also an all ICF home. I really want the Carrier Greenspeed Heat Pump since it will be an all electric home. However the quote I received was 21k for a 5 ton unit and an additional 3k for 4 zones and 3k for a recovery ventilation system. I thought that was extremely high even for the greenspeed. I mean I have 5.5 acres and access to a 18' round 275' deep mine shafts that need filled so should I consider geothermal at that kind of price?

Here is a link that might be useful: Home (before modifications) we are building

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Pditty,

Don't hijack this thread. Start a new one with an appropriate title. You will get better responses.

• pditty1995
    11 years ago

No problem I already did....but thanks.

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

I bet the company does start with "H"! I bet they are quoting the greenspeed dual fuel. Tell them to give you good, better and best options. If you read this board you will see that heat pumps in NJ are not necessary, but not bad either. A high eff furnace (gas) takes away part of the value of the heat pump. A lower eff furnace makes more sense with it. Getting it can't hurt, but it costs more. Some companies will upcharge you more than others for it. You need more quotes.

WAIT...it wasn't power home remodeling was it??? They are notorious for high priced home projects of windows and roofs, not sure if they branched into hvac.

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company