Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsmith23_gw

Trane Bid - Opinions

jsmith23
10 years ago

Hello,
Had local contractor bid a complete HVAC install at my home and would like to hear some opinions on the work quoted. Home is located in southern NJ (Atlantic City area), built in 1978, 2 story over crawlspace, ~1800 sqft total (~650sqft on second floor). All ductowrk in home is ductboard and requires replacing. Current system is 35 year old 3-ton GE condenser, 11 year old carrier furnace. As part of bid requested furnace be relocated to attic (it is essentially being moved directly above its current spot) and all new sheetmetal ductwork.

I specifically stated that I wanted a solid mid grade system (whatever that means). Bids like this are very common from local contractors.

Thanks in advance for all comments and feedback.

Comments (9)

• jsmith23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just realized that some folks may question the sizing of the AC....there is a 400 sqft addition that I didn't mention that will have its own dedicated mini split system. However, this is already tied into the main system so the contractor suggested we relocate the registers and still steal a little air flow off the quoted HVAC system.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Don't care for the Sgl stage furnace selection. If going that route, I would request the XT95 with high eff blower.

I also prefer the XR series of condensers over the XB series.

I am not clear what else you are asking. The upgrade prices are quite frisky. I suggest other quotes for comparison. Same equipment is available from Trane's sister company Am Standard. Also you might want to request a quote from a Bryant/Carrier dealer.

Purchasing HVAC in NJ is quite expensive as I am sure you are finding out.

IMO

• jsmith23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks tigerdunes. Let me ask you this...

My preferred configuration would be the XV-95 with XR95. Per the estimate that would be a $2500 upgrade. I think that is awefully steep and was trying to see if there was concurrence on the matter. Yes, HVAC in NJ is quite expensive. Also, I have received several other quotes and contractors push low end products and make the higher end products available as very expensive upgrades.

Additionally I was a bit concerned about the answer regarding the thermostats. Contractor claims P6000 is sufficient since ECM damper control boards will stage furnace (I am assuming through timers). If I buy into a $2500 upgrade I certainly am not going to pinch pennies on a thermostat. Feedback appreciated.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Pricing varies from market to market, region to region.

Not clear what you mean by $2500 upgrade price to the XV95 from the XR95. In my area a fair upgrade would be no more than $1 K. But NJ is definitely different as far as HVAC and pricing.

Regarding thermostats, it is true that most zoning control boards handle furnace staging and basically the thermostat just becomes an on-off switch. I would question dealer more in this area. You want the furnace staging to be based on demand and need not a timer that leaves you on high stage most of the time whether needed or not.

I have the XV90 furnace, the earlier predecessor to the XV95. It is a great furnace.

IMO

• jsmith23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again tigerdunes. There was a typo in my previous post, I meant to say my desired congif would be XV-95 with XR16 for a $2500 upgrade.

+$1700 for XV-95 and +800 for XR16

Again, seems high but that is something I can work the contractor on.

• jsmith23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again tigerdunes. There was a typo in my previous post, I meant to say my desired congif would be XV-95 with XR16 for a $2500 upgrade.

+$1700 for XV-95 and +800 for XR16

Again, seems high but that is something I can work the contractor on.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

HVAC is always negotiable. One other thought.

Some dealers like to use ductwork as a high profit center. Material is relatively cheap and tin cutters/ductwork installers are usually at the low end of pay scale in the HVAC business. That is the case in my area. Don't know if your dealer is a union shop but if that's the case, certainly that can contribute to the higher than normal pricing you apparently are receiving.

IMO

• jsmith23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your comments are appreciated. Although the overall cost is high relative to perhaps what would be acceptable in your part of the country this is a pretty fair estimate for these parts based on the 3-4 that I have received. As you acknowledged NJ HVAC pricing is on the high side. My greatest issue with the estimate was the, as you stated, "frisky" upgrade pricing. This contractor has an impeccable reputation and the cost of a proper installation is worth a premium...but a fair premium. Will let you know how it all works out!

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Good Luck

An informed homeowner who does his homework usually comes out ahead with a nice system install.

IMO