Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigyellow_gw

My oil boiler periodically needs to be reset

bigyellow
9 years ago

Hey, guys. I have a beckett oil fired boiler that's at least 15 years old and was here when we bought the house. As of lately, it's been stalling, I'd say at least one time a day. Each time, I go down and hold the the reset button and it restarts. Sometimes it restarts on the first press. This last time, it took three tries. Usually, just like this last time, I get smoke for a few seconds, then all is fine.

At one point I ran out of oil (maybe three weeks ago) and I bought 20 gallons of diesel until I was able to get a delivery. I thought that maybe the sediment from the bottom of the tank got into the line, so I decided to change the filter. It's only a few bucks, so why not? This hasn't alleviated the issue.

If memory serves (from a time I opened up the burner maybe two years ago), I have a 1.0 GPH nozzle. Should I attempt to clean the nozzle? Is it possible the nozzle can't be cleaned and I should just buy another one? And why, when it starts up again, is there that puff of black smoke (usually lasts 10 seconds or so)? My guess would be improperly burnt oil, but clearly I'd like some action items.

I've heard of people adding an extra filter to the line. Is this overkill? Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments (4)