Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjs777

Insulate Ductwork

jjs777
9 years ago

Since we moved into our house 4 years we have always had a problem cooling the upstairs even thought air air conditioner is only 4 years old. We finally had a duct expert out, and within 5 minutes he discovered there was a damper on the duct feeding the upstairs that was closed. The damper switch was completely hidden and he just happened to feel it. So now we have no problems cooling the upstairs. However, now he cold weather is here and the heat is on, which is fine, and the upstairs is very comfortable. But we are getting huge icicles hanging from our upstairs roof. This has never happened before, and the only change is the opened damper. I am guessing the duct, which is un-insulated, is causing the problem. I have since re-closed the damper and the icicles seem to be shrinking. FYI, house is a split level, furnace in basement, and this vent runs up the split level wall to the second story. So my question is who do i call about addressing this situation, an insulation company or a duct expert? Sorry so long. Thanks

Comments (2)