Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heating greenhouse with house boiler's exhaust

Posted by doofus (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 15:55

The exhaust pipe from our 96%-efficiency heater/boiler (single unit) comes out from the wall low (about 4 feet from the ground) and it annoys me to see, how warm the exhaust is - I'm heating the sky...

Can I build a small greenhouse next to that wall - and have the pipe open into it?

I already asked on the gardening forum, whether the plants will like it. I'm asking here, whether the boiler will object in any way. Also, if someone could spell-out, what gases exactly are to be found in the exhaust... I know, the mixture is not good for breathing, but would anything be damaging to the veggies (or to the people, who'll later eat them)?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heating greenhouse with house boiler's exhaust

It might go well, but you'll never get a building permit.

o

You want to dump the combustion fumes from a fuel burning devise into a room. Sound like you been breathing some of those poisiness gasses. Thats a sure way to kill yourself or some unsuspecting person who happens to wonder in to your gas chamber.

o

I'd like to see the flue gas composition of a properly-operating condensing, natural gas boiler. Acutely toxic materials should not be the real problem. CO should be very low or nil. It would be oxygen-depleted and high in CO2 and H2O. It might be very good for plant growth. High CO2 will promote plant growth in lighted conditions if not too high.

CO2 will certainly be high enough to be dangerous in a confined space. I'd summarize the effects of high CO2 this way, it first makes you stupid, then it makes you fall down and then it kills you. The hard part is the stupid part. People do not react to other symptoms in rational ways so it is very easy to fall down and die.

Yes, there are plenty of places where people might be exposed to CO2 as part of their work. That includes greenhouses and breweries. These areas are heavily monitored or the workers carry monitors.

I don't recommend your greenhouse plan without a lot of additional study and risk assessment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here