Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Blocked heating oil tank

alisande
10 years ago

I had a delivery of heating oil on Friday. They were supposed to bring 150 gallons, but after only 35 gallons the oil came spurting back out. The driver said either my tank is full or the vent is plugged. I know the tank isn't full, so he said to call a plumber.

I did that, but the plumber hasn't called back. If I have a hard time getting someone over here to look at this, is it possible it could be a DIY job? I have an old farmhouse, and the tanks (two of them, connected) are in the basement.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• berlin
    10 years ago

your vent should just be a pipe from on of the tanks back outside near the fill pipe - it should have a screen on the outlet and a cap (usually a combination screen/cap).

if the vent is plugged it's one of two options, the whistle (combination whistle gauge located on the tank where the vent pipe enters it) or the screen cap.

having a plugged vent is a VERY dangerous condition, during a fill (older tanks especially) have split open because of plugged or inadequate venting leading to hundreds of gallons of oil in the house and a serious nightmare. Don't underestimate this hazard - if you "fix" it yourself, be absolutely sure the venting issue IS fixed before you try to fill it with oil again. It's like a lot of things, if you have to ask - you may be better off calling a plumber.

• alisande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Berlin--the information is much appreciated. One way or another, I'll find a plumber.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I am surprised that the oil company wouldn't handle this for you. While it is your tank, you are their account. Are you buying from a discounter or a full service oil company? Paired tanks can be problematic if not piped properly and the previous comment about hundreds of gallons filling your basement is a very real possibility. Unfortunately I saw a guys house get turned into a superfund site in this manner. Call a servicing oil company, describe the problem, have them analyze and repair as necessary and buy oil from them. Oil has a significantly higher service requirement than gas. This is probably a pretty easy fix, as the system has functioned before, right?

• alisande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry I'm so late updating this thread. It turned out that my gauge was stuck at 1/4 of a tank, when in fact the tank was full. A plumber came and figured this out for me. What a nice Christmas bonus--$1,500 worth of heating oil I didn't know about!

Anyway, problem solved. Thank you for your comments and advice.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

alisande,

Do you not keep track of your oil deliveries? 350-400 gallons seems a lot of oil to "find." ;-)

• alisande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, I don't keep track of my oil deliveries. I heat mostly with wood, using the oil burner only briefly first thing in the morning. I normally don't go through very much oil.

Last month, however, I ran out of firewood for the first time in memory. I've been heating with oil, and appreciating my oil bonanza. :-)