Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't understand how my heating system works

Posted by anita9 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 14:50

I moved into a new house and the inspector didn't explain the heating system, and I can't find any manual. We have demand hot water and I am told that we have radiant heat (but it's not in-floor heat.)

There is a thermostat downstairs and each room has a wall vent with an individual fan control. When you turn on the fan the room warms up - but even if you don't turn it on, a little bit of warmth comes out as long as the thermostat is on.

So do we save any heating energy by keeping some of the fans off? Or are they just blowing heat that's being produced anyway? What is behind the vents in the rooms? And what is the most overall efficient way to run this system? It's a 2-story 1800 sqft townhouse and the living room has 20' ceilings.

And is it the same water heater providing both heat and hot water to the house? It's a Rinnai R94LSi which I looked up on Amazon and no one mentions using it for heating a house. There are a ton of lines coming off it and I don't see anything else - but I haven't been in the crawl space.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't understand how my heating system works

U bought the house? Hot water heat? No a/c? What state is house in?

o

If you had the house inspected, pre purchase, you should have a report and it should list the heating equipment.

o

Yeah, I bought it but I don't have the inspection report - long story, there was one performed but I don't have it.

There is no A/C, I live in Seattle.

o

It is unlikely that that same unit is heating your water and providing space heating. There is no way anyone can tell how your heat works based on your description. You are going to have to go into the crawl space and attic to see if you can identify ducts, pipes, and a furnace or boiler and to take pictures to post for us.

I think it would be better to have an expert explain your house to you. Hire another house inspector to go over the place and explain it all to you. It is probably worth the price to be enlightened.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here