Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radiant Heat - Hydronic

Posted by davep56 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 14:45

I recently had my kitchen remodeled and replaced the two cast iron radiators with hydronic radiant heat under porcelain tile. Is it normal for the hoses and heat source to only be on one side of the floor? The predominant coverage is between the sink/range and Island and I have another 8 feet on the other side of the island that does not have radiant heat coverage. My contractor says that is because they only installed it on the floor section that had the garage below it in the ceiling beams. There is access under the rest of the floor, would have had to take down some sheet rock. He says this is normal installation when installing it for heat only. I would have expected both sides of the kitchen floor to be heated, because their is an obvious difference when walking across the kitchen. Also, the half of the floor where there is heat is on the same side as the thermostat. What is the normal installation process for this. And wouldn't it be efficient to heat the entire floor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radiant Heat - Hydronic

It's not normal that you should be unhappy. Where were you when this was being designed?

SR

o

Normal installation is for a whole floor but I'm sure people doing retrofits make compromises to reduce the cost. But it doesn't sound like you ok'd this compromise. Sounds like a complete lack of communication. What does your contract say?

o

Yes, appears to be communication issue with contractor. Contract says in open beams above garage which is basically half of the floor. At the time, I was not familiar with this type of system, so I had no clue what it even looked like, the contractor knew we wanted all of the walking areas heated since my first request was to use electric pads in the walking area and he talked me out of that and said just create a separate zone off of your furnace for the kitchen floor. Not a big deal to finish it, half of the remaining floor is open beams in laundry room, and the rest is in ceiling above a bathrrom which I'm fine with them taking out the ceiling and replacing with drywall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here