Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger_snap40

Electric packaged rooftop heat pump replacement advice

ginger.snap
9 years ago

We are looking to replace our heat pump here in metro Phoenix. We currently have a bargain basement 3-ton Carrier system that was installed under home warranty right before we closed on our ~1600 s.f. house just over 13 years ago. It's never been a reliable system and has been repaired numerous times over the years. We are currently needing about $1000 in repairs again and think it might be wise to replace it at this point. That being said, we do hope to move into a bigger home in the next few years so we don't want to spend money on a top of the line unit. We just want something relatively reliable. We are looking to get a 13 SEER unit before the end of the year.

So far, we have 2 quotes. One for a Lennox 13HPP-036 via the Costco program. The quote before discounts is ~$5300 and if we give them the "go" by Monday/Tuesday, we'll see about $1000 in discounts.

The second is for a Trane XL13C and comes in at just about $5000.

Standard warranties are the same for both units according to the quotes (10 years parts/compressor; 2 years labor) and as far as I can tell, both quotes include all the same services.

I've heard mixed reviews about Lennox packaged heat pumps. Trane has a great reputation, but I know nothing about whether this unit is good or not. What say you GardenWeb folks? Is the Trane unit worth the extra money? Think these quotes are decent or should I look into others?

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Not a fan of Lennox. Be interesting to find out where it is manufactured.

The Trane has electronic demand defrost which is a great feature, the Lennox does not.

If budget{{gwi:9241}} allows I would upgrade to Trane's XL14c for the var speed blower.

What size heat strip? What thermostat?

And I strongly discourage purchasing HVAC at a big box store.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 13:10

• ginger.snap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it would be purchased through a local contractor who has signed up with Costco to provide the service/product. They seem reputable as far as I can tell. No complaints with the ROC. They are a registered Lennox dealer/contractor. We'd just get Costco pricing.

We were told the Trane XL14c is about $2500 more. Doesn't seem worth it for this house. We've been comfortable in the middle of summer with the crappy unit we have currently despite it not working as well as it should.

The Lennox dealer quoted a Honeywell 3000 thermostat which I see is not programmable (which we need). I didn't ask and don't see the type listed on the Trane quote but it does say programmable. Will need to find out about that.

I don't know what a heat strip is.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Stick with the Trane...wish you could see the units themselves side x side...

IMO

• mike_home
    9 years ago

"We'd just get Costco pricing."

Realize that Costco has to make money on the transaction, and the contractor is forced to sell at a lower price than he may otherwise charge. The contractor has to offer lower cost equipment and/or cut corners on the installation labor.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

You're comparing apples to oranges, the Trane is one of their higher end models, the Lennox is their bottom of the line. As has already been said the Trane is a better quality unit but in my opinion not worth the extra since you're moving soon.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>Not a fan of Lennox. Be interesting to find out where it is manufactured.

USA

• ginger.snap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hvtech42,

Do you think a comparable level Lennox unit would be as good as the Trane?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I haven't worked with the higher end Lennox packs, so not much to say about them good or bad. What I can say is that if you upgraded to the equivalent Lennox it would probably be as much as the Trane if not more, and not worth the upgrade price. Might as well just get the cheapest you can since you're moving soon.

• ginger.snap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moving isn't a guarantee and even if it did happen, it's still at least 3 years out. It's just something we hope to do, and I didn't think spending the money on something like a super high efficiency unit or a variable speed unit was worthwhile. I'd still like a reliable unit for the time we live here though, and it might be worth it if we don't end up selling in the next 3 years. I'd hate to have to start pumping money into another crappy unit right before we decide to sell.

Can you or anyone else recommend any other units we might want to look at getting quotes for?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

If not the Trane, look at the equivalent from sister company Am Standard.

Just as good as Trane and sometimes less expensive.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Am Standard Package Heat Pumps

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!