Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat pump in mn

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 11 at 14:21

What type of install would be best for a single family house in cold MN? I got quotes for stuff this fall. Never really talked about HP. I called a shop but they said they do air source HP stuff only. Should I consider non-air source HP stuff in MN? Our elec is 10cents.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat pump in mn

Joe

Just to be clear, no access to nat gas or are you all electric?

If you have nat gas, what is your rate/therm?

Either way, for your location and winter climate, I would look at Carrier's new Greenspeed HP systems either all electric or DF.

IMO

o

know that for forced air DX heat and cooling that load is typically sized ( at least her in Kansas/MO) based on the cooling load, and the heating follows. But here, for GROUND source HP, the space load is primarily based on heating load, with the cooling load following. So if you look at ground source, be sure to get enough heat.

For either air to air, or ground source you may use a gas furnace as secondary heat (natural gas or propane) IMHO electric secondary heat is less recommended in a cold climate unless gas is not an option.

o

You will need a lot of backup heat in Minnesota with a heat pump.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here