Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Add second furnace

Posted by lydie325 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 14:09

My daughter lives in northern Illinois. She has a two-story house with an unfinished basement, and about 2200 square feet of finished space. In the summer the second floor is hot, and in the winter it's freezing. The house is about 45 years old, and the furnace is about seven years old. I know some two-story houses have a second furnace and AC. How easy is it to add another furnace to an older home? Would it go in the basement? She has lived there about three years, and although she has had the furnace serviced, she really doesn't have a company she knows and trusts. She added more insulation when she moved in. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Add second furnace

You will need to run a separate duct work system to the second floor if you add a second furnace and AC. It may be very difficult to do this from the basement. It may be more practical to install the furnace in the attic and run a new set of ducts.

I would first see why the current furance is having problems before spending money on a second furnace. The key is to find someone competent.

o

Agree with Mike.

Have the duct sizing checked out. Undersized ductwork is a likely reason for what she has happening.

o

"Undersized ductwork is a likely reason for what she has happening."

How about inadequate attic/ceiling insulation? Or air infiltration? Or duct leaks?

It's pretty hard to diagnose from a distance, don't you think?

o

All of these could be contributing to the problem. I recommend all of these items should be reviewed before you call in a contractor to add a second furnace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here