Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing home generator creating other issues

Posted by chickadee4 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 12:52

The 14 year old power guard generator was installed with the exhaust valve blowing on the ac condenser units. It fried itself last Monday

Presently I have sitting in a linear pattern the generator closest to the home followed by two ac condenser units. We have already deduced that new cement will need to be poured, the ac units will need to be moved along with piping and a new home generator will need to be placed the furthest from the home .

My concern is that in moving the ac 10 seer rated units they will fail.
I have already called the HVAC service and asked for a quote on new higher rated seer air systems.
Would you bite the bullet and replace all three items or see if when they move the air conditioners that they keep in mind the units are old and will fail?
I have been warned that I will also need to replace the handlers.

The husband wants a 14 kw kohler whereas I prefer an 8.5kw and use the difference towards the air conditioners.

I am lucky to have only lost power for five days. Those in Staten Island, NJ and LOong Island are looking at weeks with no power.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing home generator creating other issues

How old are the AC condensers? If they are more than 15 years old then I would recommend replacing them. A few years ago I tried removing and then replacing a 20 year old condenser so I could regrade the area near my house. The unit developed a leak. I ended up replacing the condenser and furnace.

o

The ac condensers are 14 years old.
My gut says to replace all three at the same time but the hubby does not want to spend the money.
Since we need to move the ac units my gut says we are going to spend more if we don't replace them. Personally I am all for just opening the window when it gets hot out.
I have been without power in NJ every year due to fallen tress but the town balks when we ask to place the lines under ground,
I have power .I had a car to warm up in or the fire house. It must be a nightmare for those who have no relief from the cold and yes it is cold outside
Thank you for posting. To me it is a no brainer what to do.

o

I would not move the AC units unless I was replacing them.

I would however move the generator if it needs moving and leave the AC alone for another year or two and spread out the cost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here