Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help diagnosing Heating problem

Posted by tmy23 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 12:26

Greetings,

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided!

We have a hydronic system, with 2 Weil Mclain HEii boilers, a WM DHW tank and Tekmar controller. The system alternates boiilers, has DHW priority and uses outside temp sensor. Have 2 heat zones of radiators, and one zone of in-floor hydronic with mixing system.

At the end of last season, we began to have a symptom that in the morning only (after overnight setback down to 62 degrees) system would not come on. Noticed because there was no hot water for showers. Simply cycling AC on/off restored everything. This would happen intermittently, and it was close to spring and I didn't follow up.

This winter it's a nightly occurrence.
Every morning I go downstairs, both HEii's have red flashing error code. Power off and on, everything works. Odd that it NEVER happened throughout the summer when the boilers were only being used for DHW. Something about being in heating season makes the difference. Also, never happens during the day, once I flip the power in the early morning, system works fine all day, both heat and DHW, until overnight, and then fails again overnight.

Although not a conclusive test (I only tried it once) last night I didn't setback and kept the temp at 70 all night, the system ran normally, and I did not need to cycle the power.

Boilers are 15 years old, Tekmar is about 3-4 years old.

From reading on the internet, was ready to replace the controllers on the HEii's but now I'm not so sure?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help diagnosing Heating problem

Sounds like it might be a control problem.

Have you read all your manuals? Have you contacted Tekmar tech support?

SR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here