Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Rheem still good for gas water heater?

Posted by marissa16 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 12:21

I have decided to put in a hi efficiency power vent 50 gal gas water heater for a renovated 2 bedrm apt. My contractor recommended the Richmond 5GR50PVE2-42 which is made by Rheem and actually on sale locally today. I read consumers advice about hot water heaters and they say the longer the warranty, the more likely the insulating material is thicker and better made. This only has a 6 year warranty and am not sure many offer much more than this from what I see reading on line.

Recommendations and opinions most welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Rheem still good for gas water heater?

The Rheem hot water heaters have a good reputation. I have no expirence with the heaters with power vents. I am not sure if this reduces the reliability.

I think Rheem offers a longer warranty. You pay for the additional coverage. Sears sells water heaters with 12 year warrantys. My Sears hot water heater is 17 1/2 years old. No problems so far.

o

what is the energy factor?
for a standard tank type w/h .65ef is good
you can boost the efficiency by adding an exterior blanket.

best of luck

o

Thank you both. The energy factor is .67 and I can purchase a 6 year warranty for $50 which picks up after the initial 6 years are up. I have 30 days and need to read the details before deciding if the extended warranty is worth it.

o

Rheem continues to be a decent water heater - I happen to prefer Bradford White, there warranties are outstanding.

In terms of the life warranties - in your case you are seeking to purchase a water heater with a six year warranty- you can also buy heaters with 9 and 12 year warranties. Just know, that is one of the reasons for the higher cost - you are actually paying for the extended warranty.

A number of things have adversity of the life of the water heater- water condition from the city/village, water softeners, etc.

Within a water heater there is a part that you can/should replace every two years or so(depending upon the water quality used) -it is called the anode or sacrifical rod.

The purpose of this piece is it acts as a "magnet" of the water impurities, therefore the impurities are not attacking the water heater itself.

With that said, you can take a hot water heater with a six year warranty, and with the proper maintenance far exceed that 6 year lifetime.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here