Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnaw_gw

Looking for a heater for SHED

johnaw
16 years ago

I am looking for the best type of heater for my shed that is 13' X 15'?

Yes it is insulated and has electric in it.

I live in Northwest Ohio.

Comments (12)

• garyg
    16 years ago

Electric baseboard. Cheap and easy to install. Not so cheap to run.

• tmajor
    16 years ago

Mobile Home furnace (sometimes cheap, sometimes, not!). Burn kero, forced hot air, would need storage tank.

• johnaw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What would be cheap to run to heat it? There must be something out there that would be ideal for what I am looking for?

• tmajor
    16 years ago

It's hard to tell "what you are looking for", as you haven't said.

Do you want heat every 3 - 10 days, when you go out to work on a project? Do you want heat in there all the time? Do you want heat, which can come up within 10 minutes or so? Will the heat only be needed for a couple of hours now and then?

• johnaw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You have gave me the information that I need to gave you so you can tell me what the best heat source in for what I am useing the shed for.

When I go out to work on a project, it could be once a week at time and it could be 3 nights a week. Need heat only when I am in there. Do you want heat, which can come up within 10 minutes or so? That would be very nice if it could. Will the heat only be needed for a couple of hours now and then? Yesbut when I retire I will be it more often perhaps everyday or so.

Hope that this will help you.

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

It may not be the best choice but if you want quick cheap heat get an LP gas salamander. You can use you're BBQ grill gas tank to fuel it. Check out Mr Heater. I use one in my shed and it works out just fine.

• tmajor
    16 years ago

I would look for a used Miller mobile home furnace. It can be temperature controlled with a thermostat, turned on when you are going to be out there and you'll have heat in 10 minutes (everything won't be warm, but it will "feel better"). You can run some duct-work or do without.

You'll need some "safe chimney pipe" and maybe nothing more than a 55 gallon drum for kerosene storage.

• rpsinfoman
    16 years ago

Whats your price range? If you have a have a gas line available, Modine makes an outstanding gas fired hanging heater. Overkill most likely for the area your heating. I think the min. is 60K BTU and around $400 bucks. I have one in my garage on a programmable stat. It's an outstanding product.

• garyg
    16 years ago

It's a small work shed. Doesn't need much heat. He uses it for projects, and it has electricity. Electric heat his best choice.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

yep, either a eletric portable heater or a kero heater. i have electric in my shed/shop but i heat with a KeroSun heater. even though my shop is not insulated(yet), it heats it pretty good and pretty quickly. i just have to remember come winter time to move any gas cans over to my other building.

• olmanrivah
    16 years ago

Although I have electricity in my shed, I use a MH24 Mr Heater. It has 2 burners so I can use 1 or 2 depending on how cold it is and how fast I want the shed to heat up.

Electric heaters take too long to do the job. Kero-sun too messy.

• rpsinfoman
    16 years ago

I concur, electric takes too long and too costly, and using kerosene one must provide ventilation and put up with the aweful stench of fuel. Propane or Natural Gas is the way to go.