Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sandy Wiped out HVAC - I need advice

Posted by anyah (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 10:58

I am in charge of shopping for new HVAC systems, for myself and my Mother (gas furnaces and central air units for two 1000 - 1200 square foot 3 bedroom homes which were wiped out by Sandy). I have to keep the cost low because we don't know what the insurance will pay, yet I don't want cheap energy hogs. (Why did NJ get rid of energy efficiency rebates?) I don't buy a toaster without consulting consumer reports and then checking every price I can find (that's why my Mom's purchases fall to me). I don't know when I will have the time to do this research as I am still gutting and cleaning up. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sandy Wiped out HVAC - I need advice

Sorry to hear about your losses. This has been a terrible situation for people in NJ and NY.

NJ does provide energy rebates. They are called Warmadvantage and Cooladvantge. You can get up to $400 for a new furnace, and %500 for an AC. The furnace needs to be at least 92% efficient, and the AC needs to have a 16 SEER and 13 EER.

You can also consider the NJ Energy Star program. With this program the insulation and tightness is upgraded along with installing more efficient equipment. The incentives are as high as $5000 plus you can get an interest free loan of up to $10,000 for a 10 year period. I am not sure if this will apply in your case since you are rebuidling, but it is worth investigating.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: NJ Energy Programs

o
RE: Sandy Wiped out HVAC - I need advice

Thanks for the response. I will look at those options. I also heard from the NJ BPU that it is putting together an additional program to encourage energy efficient replacements for HVAC and appliances trashed by the storm, and will be putting something on its web site in mid-December.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here