Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kompressor_gw

In need of a new furnace

kompressor
11 years ago

I live just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. In 1988, I built a new home and installed a Keeprite CGH125N which was a High- Eff model at the time or so I was told. As you can see from the model number, it runs off of Natural gas.

The furnace itself measures 25 3/4" wide when facing the inspection doors by 27 3/4" deep by 54" tall. The hot air plenum is 24 1/4" wide x 19 7/8" deep. The cold air return measures 22" x 12" and feed directly into a Honeywell electrostatic air cleaner that is screwed to the lower right side of the furnace housing.

The furnace is rated at 115,000 BTU max.

I have no complaints with this furnace. I bought Keeprite because I was told by several people that it was the best built unit. I also bought a Keeprite central air unit and that has been problem free all these years. Of course, the coil for it resides in the current plenum. However, Keeprite got bought out and I've been told that the quality went downhill. I'd like to find a replacement furnace that would allow ME to remove the existing one and install the new one without have to alter the ductwork. At age 68, retired and living on a fixed income, cost of paying a pro to do this work is a problem for me. Sorry guys... I realize you need to make a living too but one day you will be my age and possibly faced with these kinds of decisions. I am open to all suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Comments (6)

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Did you install the original furnace yourself? Replacing a furnace and coil is not a DIY project.

If you provide details about the size your house and winter conditions you will get help selecting a reasonablly priced furance.

• kompressor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I installed the original furnace and central air unit. I am not looking for help in sizing a new furnace. The existing unit was sized correctly as far as BTU ouput is concerned.

I just thought that by chance there might be some Pro's on this forum who could make suggestions regarding a replacement furnace that would not require me to have a new transition collar made up. I'm trying to keep this as simple and cost effective as possible.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

couldn't you make the transition with ductboard?
    then you could use your choice of furnaces.
    please tell us you have someone to help you.
    the equipment is heavy.

best of luck.

• kompressor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I am forced to have a new transition made, then I have no other choice but to accept that and deal with it. So...my next question would be....what brand and model should I be looking at? Is there any junk out there I should avoid? It's been 24 years since I last did my research on new furnaces and a lot of changes have taken place since then.

Yes, I know that furnaces are heavy but I have a walk-out basement with double door entranceway and the door on my furnace room is 36" wide. A furnace on a dolly is easy to move.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

The top tier brands are Carrier/Bryant, Trane/American Standard, and Rheem/Rudd. Lennox is also considered a good brand, but there is mixed opinion on this. Each of these brands offer high, middle, and low end equipment. I recommend avoiding the low end equipment.

Furnaces come in single stage, 2-stage, and multi-stage variable speed. Efficiencies range from 80-97%. You have to decide how much you want to spend on additional comfort and efficiency.

A high efficiency (90%+) will need to vented out the side of the house. It makes sense to go to a higher efficiency in your climate. It is also important to properly size the equipment and duct work. Oversized equipment creates a lot of problems.

• stoveguyy
    11 years ago

you're in canada? don't they have a requirement for only using high efficiency units now? you need to pull a permit and have it inspected so it has to be HE? i live in mn. state law is changing next year. all new furnaces need to be 90+ efficiency. or maybe you can install whatever you want. heck, why not find a used furnace?