Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

Lineset insulation

bus_driver
12 years ago

Lots of critters where I live. I just discovered that they have chewed off the lineset insulation on the outdoor portion of my systems. The liquid line and the thermostat wire are taped to the vapor line which was insulated. I plan to install new insulation on the vapor line. I fear that they may chew the thermostat wire as well. What do you suggest as a guard for the insulation? Can I wrap it around the whole bundle including the liquid line?

Comments (17)

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

built a fence around it just make sure its open chicken wire or to that effect so the unit can breath.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had time to think about this today. The line set is curved from the unit to the hole in the wall, so a metal covering is more difficult. I have some thin aluminum flashing rolls that I may cut into strips about 2" wide and use that as a wrap for the insulation. With overlap, each turn should cover an inch or so and conform to the curve reasonably well. It will require some work to install. But the aluminum must not touch the copper in any way.

• alphonse
    12 years ago

Bus, look for metallic adhesive tapes, available in aluminum and stainless.
    Some have an intermediary foam layer.

Pretty sure McMaster-Carr carries them.

• pjb999
    12 years ago

If the stuff Aphonse is recommending is thick enough, go for it, but I suspect it won't be. I like your idea of flashing rolls, but you're right, you must completely insulate it from copper contact.

Another thought - if this would work, what about rigid or flex pipe (like drainage pipe) that you could split and slip over the lineset (with rigid, cut a strip out of the side) then fill with sprayfoam?

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I used to have what amounted to metal guttering wrapped around the exposed part of the lines. The guttering was painted.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"what about rigid or flex pipe (like drainage pipe) that you could split and slip over the lineset". Thought provoking suggestion. Thanks.

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

Kind of OT, but I caught 5 raccoons in a live trap this week. I set it behind my garage and got two pairs and a single. I am after feral cats, but the raccoons area a PITA too. This is an urban environment in a single-family home neighborhood. If things slow down, I might think that I've made a temporary dent in the population.

• pjb999
    12 years ago

YW re the pipe idea. Maybe you could also build a box to enclose it, if that didn't look too weird? If the pipes run hard up against the house you could just build an enclosure, and stuff it with insulation - screw a cover on, for future access.

Ionized, re the Feral Cats, I hope you are able to take them somewhere to be humanely euthanised. Feral cats are a pest. IDK what to say about the Raccoons! They are cute, I have to say. Tell the neighbours to lock up their trash?

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live on 47 acres with probably more acreage than that undeveloped and contiguous. Raccoons are often found to have rabies in my area and they riddle a corn field. They also can be about the most fierce fighters if they feel threatened.

• alphonse
    12 years ago

The above mentioned metal tapes are around .003" thick and with overlap won't be tasty to your varmints. The foam layer would act as dielectric if you were in doubt.

But the loom idea sounds pretty good. Maybe an electrical supply or again, McMaster.
    No, I don't own the company, have stock, work there, or get a catalog.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And it could be mice. A non-chewable wrap is about all that will stop them. Fencing mesh would need to be extremely fine and tightly fitted everywhere to keep mice out.

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

The neighbors put food outside for the cats and the raccoons waltz up and eat what they want too. The raccoons can do a lot of damage. I have an associate that is pretty hard-line abut the cats -- They eat songbirds, they are an introduced species so shoot them. (She has a wildlife and fisheries degree.)

The cage is on loan from the local animal controls dept. They take the cats and the raccoons. They handle the cats themselves. I suspect the state wildlife dept. takes the raccoons off their hands.

Fortunately, not much rabies here. I have never understood why the distribution is not more universal in North America. Coming from NY, I understand the problem. A couple of years ago a friend of my mom's, who lives in Tompkins Co., was bitten by a rabid fox that ran up on their deck in the middle of the day.

• pjb999
    12 years ago

Wow. We are very lucky that rabies doesn't seem common at all in the west (BC) - and we can now innoculate our pets.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It now looks as if the problem is weather exposure and especially ultraviolet light. The control cable is taped to the lineset and is not chewed at all. Not typical of gnawing animals to ignore such as the control cable. I replaced the insulation on one of the linesets and need to get another length of insulation for the other set.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Metal jacketed line insulation is available, but it sees most of its use on commercial rooftops in desert type areas with a LOT of sun.

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

I can't believe all these responses to one simple question. I would like to witness this guy raccoon proofing his unit. Good luck.

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The replacement insulation is now in place. The other was just weathered away here in central NC. I found one visible marking "Insul Tube 180" is what it appears to say. The material inside the house looks perfect.
    The link gives a clue that the UV resistance is limited.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insul-Tube