Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbr549

Tempstar Furnace Pilot flame won't light

CBR549
11 years ago

Tempstar Furnace converted to propane.

I am getting gas up to the ignitor assembly and the ignitor glows but won't light the pilot flame. I have cleaned the pilot orifice and can see light through the small pin hole.

What else can I do?

Comments (2)

• kalining
    11 years ago

who did the convertion ? You can see what light through what small pin hole ? If you have " hot surface ingition " you don't have a pilot flame. Do you have an "interupted " pilot ? You having propane and not knowing what your doing ( no offense ) could be the makings of a really big bang. N.G. is a little more forgiving but not that much. If the convertion is recent call the company back and tell them to fix it. Don't play with it call in a service company.

• CBR549
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Perhaps I should have been more thorough in my description.
    Converted to Propane from Natural Gas âÂÂTempStarâ Model #NTC5075BFE2 with a Honeywell SV9500M 2682 Smart Valve.

The conversion was done by a local company some nine years ago. No offence taken at all but I have cleaned and serviced this furnace myself more than several times and rest assured I take every safety precaution when working with it. I donâÂÂt want to go âÂÂboomâÂÂ.
    I removed the âÂÂIgnitor/Flame AssemblyâÂÂ, cleaned the pilot orifice (Light Through The Pin Hole) and replaced the Ignitor/Flame Rod as it was damaged.
    This is the sequence of events that occurs at the furnace when I engage the call for heat:
    The draft inducer starts
    The hot surface ignitor energizes
    But no pilot flame ignites
    I have checked gas flow but cannot check pressure and no the pilot âÂÂneverâ ignites.
    I do appreciate your concern and no offence intended at all but I need information not a safety lecture.