Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cracked heat exchange

Posted by bonsai_mkr (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 10:18

Hello, i'm having problem with furnace, per HVAC tech, i have cracked heat exchange and need new furnace.... problem now is home warranty is refusing to replace because this is pre existing condition, according to hvac tech and home warranty.
per home warranty and tech they are telling me that home inspector would have notice this burn mark (caused by crack heat exchange). i didnt hire home inspection when bought the house it was forclose and bank was not going to repair anything anyway...

can you look at the picture and tell me if this is burn mark or rust from condensation? and would home inspector would notice crack heat exchange?

any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cracked heat exchange

This looks like a burn mark and not rust from condensation. Is this on the exterior of the furnace? It looks like this furnace has overheated frequently. It may be result of the previous owner never changing the filter or a poor installation.

Did the tech show you the cracked heat exchanger? I think the tech is assuming the heat exchanger is cracked based on the exterior burn marks. This may or may not be true. You should assume this furnace is not safe to operate and should be replaced.

o
RE: cracked heat exchange

Hello Mike,thank you for quick reply.
your correct this is on exterior of the furnace near vent... tech did not show me the cracked heat exchanger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here