Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Better furnace filters? Merv rating?

Posted by ajc9 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 9:28

Hello!

We have geothermal heating. My daughter has been struggling with allergies since the heat has kicked on and I'm thinking we need to better our filters?

The merv rating on our current filters is a 7. My furnace guy can make them to fit...they would be rated at a 13. At 36$ a pop...do you think it's worth it and will help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Better furnace filters? Merv rating?

you need to evaluate the airflow restriction with the tighter filtration that occurs with making this change. In particular as the filter loads it will become more restrictive.....so the answer depends on how frequently you change filters and your overall system.

You could also look at adding UV lights and keep the same micron level of filtration that you have.

o

Hi Julie...thank you! After researching a bit I found that that could be an issue. I will ask my guy about it.

o

I wouldn't go above a 7 and I would also upgrade to a 4-5" thick filter which makes a huge amount of filter media in comparison to a 1".

o

I would also evaluate or have someone else evaluate the duct sealing. If the ducts are sealed with mastic and no outside air and worse yet attic air with insulation fibers and dirt being pulled into the return vents and recessed lights could be the real issue. I don't care what combo of filters and or lights you use, the problem will not go away. With leaky recessed lighting just opening and closing doors will pull crud out of the attic in for you to breathe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here