Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adaddo

Help with Carrier Infinity Heat/AC setup

adaddo
12 years ago

Hey guys...

I just purchased what I hope is a complete and correct setup for my home. and am looking for a bit of help.

Here is what I bought

CARRIER INFINITY 58MVC080-F-1-20 Multipoise Variable-Capacity Furnace 80,000 btu

24ana136 infinity 3ton high efficiency outdoor a/c unit,

3.5 ton coil I have a capvt4221ata Thermostat SYSTXCCUID01-B control

LP Conversion kit

I'm having difficulty determining the appropriateness of the coil ...part # capvt4221ata for my furnace. Someone said it was a old part number. But I'm looking for info to determine its size and whether it has the needed txv as part of it.

Any help appreciated..

Thx

Comments (16)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

A nice system

That's an old mdl condenser that has been replaced.

The AHRI number is the following.

3859566 Discontinued Systems INFINITY 21 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ANA136A32 � CAP**4221A** 58MV(B,C)080-20 36600 13.30 18.00

I would verify this with your dealer and ask for the updated Infinity 21 model with the correct coil. It should not matter with dealer.

IMO

• adaddo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow...Thx 4 the fast response...
    I bought the system at a substantial savings...knowing that it might be older stock. I just wanted to confirm that it was actually a matched setup according to AHRI. and that it was indeed a good setup. Any further input appreciated. I stilled wondered about the txv valve part ?
    Would u know if its a part of that particular coil...or will need to be purchased as well?

• mike_home
    12 years ago

I found the following on the AHRI directory:

3859566 Discontinued Systems INFINITY 21 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ANA136A32 CAP**4221A** 58MV(B,C)080-20 36600 13.30 18.00 1 RCU-A-CB 237 Yes

The system is discontinued, but appears to be a proper match. A TXV is required. The product data for the coil states the TXV is included.

Who is doing the installation?

• adaddo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A local heating/air company that said they were really slow right now and could make me a great deal. Why do u ask? Does it matter..? Or just questioning a proper installation? does who installs it..affect the warranty?

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

adaddo

The idea that this will be a propane fueled furnace tells me you should add a HP condenser and not an AC condenser if your electric rate is reasonable. I have already seen propane prices above $3.00 and you know propane tracks home heating fuel oil prices.

IMO

• adaddo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Someone else mentioned this as well. Are you saying that a Heatpump would be better...with installed electric strips so that the system would be totally electric ?

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Adaddo

What is your location?

What is your electric rate?

What is price/gal of propane?

Are operating costs important to you?

IMO

• mike_home
    12 years ago

The equipment needs to be installed by a qualified HVAC contractor. The models you listed are the best furnace, condenser and controller Carrier has in their line up. The performance numbers and comfort features won't mean anything if the equipment is not properly sized or incorrectly installed.

I am a little skeptical of an HVAC contractor who says they are slow at the start of the winter season. Do you have confidence in this contractor?

• adaddo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in Indiana
    Propane is currently 2.30/gal
    Electricity (most recent bill 2362 kwh = 200.00)is that cheap?
    Operating costs are a factor. I tried to weigh pro's n cons ....
    The deal has been made ...so it looks like i'll be doing this LP sysytem. But feedback is definitely welcome

• adaddo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thx Mike_home for your feedback as well. As far as faith in the installer.....I've only talked with them on the phone...But seems very knowledgable thus far when talking of the install. Talked of correct static pressures and such. This is uncharted territory for myself. Any further recommendations are truly appreciated. Thanks everyone, for your continued input.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Adaddo

Not getting a HP is a big mistake.

Here are the numbers on a BTU basis comparison.

Cost per 100,000 btu of useable heat

Electric baseboard: $2.64
    Heat pump: $1.09
    Propane: $2.65

Even straight electric resistance heat is about the same as propane.

In fact, a heat pump with electric heat strips from an operating standpoint is worthy of consideration. But definitely, a hybrid or dual fuel is a much better choice than all propane heating.

IMO

• adaddo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow...
    Thx Tigerdunes...for the calculations
    Although a bit depressing in my current situation.
    I have alot of money in the above stated equipment...not sure how i'll proceed ...Hmmmm

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

You do get what you pay for- buyer beware.

• mike_home
    12 years ago

"As far as faith in the installer.....I've only talked with them on the phone...But seems very knowledgable thus far when talking of the install."

Has the contractor visited your house?

• adaddo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No...
    He'll be here tomorrow

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

Do you currently have propane in the house or will this be new?

Do you currently have sufficient capacity in your electrical panel for electric heat strips (200amps)?

What TD is getting at is that apparent cost of electrical heat strips and propane is the same. Since a HP is more efficient than electric strips when it is operating (say above 28F), it would be cheaper to use a HP over 28f than propane (or electric strips).

The decision depends on the cost difference of going with a HP over the discontinued AC the dealer is offering.