Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klavier_gw

Correct forum for refrigeration questions?

klavier
10 years ago

Hello,
Been a GW member for a long time, but I have never had a refrigeration question, so I am not sure if this is the right place.

My wife has come into a older Traulsen URS 48 DT refrigerator. It currently runs and is in pretty nice shape, but it runs on R12, and I don't want to spend the time and money having this thing delivered to the house, and modifying the kitchen to accommodate the behemoth if it is going to cost more than it is worth the first time something needs serviced (which at 20 yrs old could be tomorrow).

My question is, what would be involved in converting this thing from R12 to R134a? Would it be as simple as draining the oil, putting in a new line dryer, and having it charged, or are we talking about gutting the whole system, and installing all new Manufacturer components (evaporator, compressor, etc)? All new manufacturer components would be several thousand dollars (not worth it).

Is it possible to have the old mechanicals pulled out, and have some sort of commercial-off-the-shelf system jerry-rigged into it? Any ideal of ballpark cost?

Cheers,
Werner

Comments (4)