Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help diagnoses: thermostat or system issue?

Posted by daven (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 7:30

I have a gas pack/heat pump that is controlled by a Honeywell
TH8320U1008 thermostat. We are in a new building and everything was working well with Summer and AC but now that we need heat we have a problem.

The thermostat will be set on 69 degrees but when we arrive in the morning it is 64 degrees inside. If I pull the thermostat off the wall and replace it on the mount the system immediately kicks on and heats. I have replaced the batteries in the thermostat and the display appears normal.

What can cause this and what do I need to do to remedy the situation.

Thanks,
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help diagnoses: thermostat or system issue?

I would first check to see if the thermostat has been programmed correctly. Here are some things to check:

- are you in heating mode?
- are you in a set back period?
- is the time set correctly?
- was the hold temperature mode in use?

If you are convinced the set up is correct then inspect the back plate carefully. If seating and unseating it makes it work then you may have a contact connection problem. If everything looks good visually then the thermostat itself may be defective and needs to be replaced.

o

If this is dual fuel package system-HP with gas furnace backup, then you should have an outdoor temp sensor with this thermostat.

I would recommend replacing the thermostat and if in high humidity location in the summer, select the 8321 HW model.

IMO

o

Thanks for the quick replies.

We are in heat mode, clock was 20 minutes slow but not enough to affect anything, wake mode, not on hold. The contacts look clean on the removable part. I don't have any contact cleaner handy for the back plate but I could get some??

I don't know how the system would be described. Heat is gas only not heat pump backup. There is no outside temp sensor connected.

The thermostat is about 4 years old. Do I need to replace?

o

"I have a gas pack/heat pump that is controlled by a Honeywell."

Your description, not mine.

I would replace thermostat.

IMO

o

For those interested, I bought a Nest generation 1 off ebay new to replace the thermostat. While I was changing stats I discovered that the W wire was partially broken and it snapped as I moved it. That was the issue, not the thermostat. Annoying but not a terrible outcome...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here