Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdnreader

Heat/Loss calculations - Bryant Furnace issues

cdnreader
9 years ago

Hi,

I had wrote earlier about 1700 square feet house, two furnaces were replaced, one feeding the upstairs 700 square feet and one feeding the main floor and basement about 1000 square feet. I'm very unhappy with my single stage Bryant Legacy 915S installation.

I talked to the owner of the plumbing company about the heat loss calculations. He did not give me the exact numbers. But said for the main floor the 80,000 BTU calculation was about right.

2nd story they had installed 60,000 BTU. He said the calculation showed a 20,000 BTU, but said worried that if they installed a smaller furnace it wouldn't force the air up into the second story.

He is now offering to put in a Bryant Evolution model at a costs of an extra 2300 to 2600 per unit. But cannot guarantee it will be quieter due to the ductwork.

I'm so fed up. They just put in the 2 furnaces 2 months ago. I don't know if I should ask for a full refund and have them pull the furnaces and start over.

I've already called some other companies for quotes. I don't know if emailing Bryant about my bad experience with the dealer is going to do any good.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (11)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

You failed to mention your location.

You are oversized on both furnaces. Both furnaces were the Legacy 915S?

What are your issues-be specific?

Where are the furnaces located?

What size and efficiency were the furnaces that were replaced?

AC involved in the install?

Ductwork evaluation needed both supply and return.

I have no idea what this dealer is thinking with changing out these furnaces to the Evolution series. In fact I wouldn't have any confidence in this dealer.

Is this dealer a Bryant factory authorized dealer-FAD? If you don't know you should find out.

You need another opinion from either a Carrier or Bryant FAD. Of course you will have to pay for it. Probably money well spent. An accurate load calculation is indicated from a third party, certainly not from the installing dealer. Broken out by each zone. Just some ideas here. The small upstairs zone is problematic as far as finding a furnace sized correctly. The down and dirty suggestion would be to exchange these furnaces for 2 40KBTU 915S models. Another idea would be one 60 KBTU 2 stage model with zoning for basement and the upstairs. Of course, someone would need to see if this is practical. You are in a mess for sure. Please document everything in writing. Might be necessary down the road.

Post back.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 7:23

• mike_home
    9 years ago

Here is the link to the OP's first thread so we don't have to repeat everything again.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/msg1120501411134.html

You need to get a copy of the load calculations for both floors. This will be evidence that the furnaces are not appropriate for your house. It will help build your case in case you need to mount a legal fight.

Do not give this "plumbing company" another $4900. From all I have read they are neither skilled in HVAC or plumbing. The idea that a bigger furnace needed to be installed to force the air through the undersized duct work demonstrates this.

The right thing to do would be to remove these furnaces and install smaller versions as Tigerdunes suggested. This should be done at no cost to you. The question would be do you trust them to do the replacement.

If they are not willing to do a free replacement, then after you have your load calculation evidence in hand you should as for the equipment to be removed and a full refund. Find out what legal recourse you have in your area. Move quickly but you may still be in the time window where something can be done.

Good luck.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

What a joke. If anything the variable speed blower in the Evolution will make things worse. I agree with Mike.

• cdnreader
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help and response.

I'm up here in Western Canada. From what you are all saying, I should ask this company to remove their equipment and get another company in here. I've talked to 4 more furnace companies. I'm going to ask them to give me a full refund and remove their equipment. There is no way I can trust them to do anything right.

You are oversized on both furnaces. Both furnaces were the Legacy 915S? - yes

What are your issues-be specific? - uneven heating, living room and master bedroom upstairs airflow is weak and the furnaces are loud when they start up - sounds like a windstorm...blows cold air first and then warm air...

Where are the furnaces located? - two furnaces both in the basement in the utility room

What size and efficiency were the furnaces that were replaced? I don't know what the old furnaces were, they were 30 years old

AC involved in the install? - no

Ductwork evaluation needed both supply and return.

I have no idea what this dealer is thinking with changing out these furnaces to the Evolution series. In fact I wouldn't have any confidence in this dealer.

Is this dealer a Bryant factory authorized dealer-FAD? If you don't know you should find out. - yes, they are, I checked on the Bryant website. I called Bryant today to lodge a complaint against them and have a manager call me back. I'm thinking of complaining to the BBB as well.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

If this a Bryant FAD, then you are supposed to be covered by a 100% satisfaction guarantee for up to one year. You can read about it on the Bryant web site.

What this really means is vague. It will be interesting to see how Bryant responds.

• cdnreader
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again Mike. Appreciate the extra information from the Bryant website. I'm still waiting to hear back from Bryant. I really hope they can help me.

• cdnreader
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update from Bryant. A senior manager called me and basically said it was between me and the dealer. I mentioned the 100 percent satisfaction guarantee on their website. She said she would ask the technical manager to speak with the dealer and I should hear back in one to four days. I told her, my hope is to have the furnaces removed and my money fully refunded. I have also filed complaints with the BBB and the consumer branch of the government. One way or another, I hope to get my money back.

In the meantime, I'm getting quotes.

• cdnreader
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update - after I complained to the BBB and to Bryant, they have agreed to a full refund and to pull the furnaces so I can start over with another company. I'm in the process of getting quotes for two stage furnaces. Trying to be more careful this time and hopefully I will have an evenly heated house.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Consider yourself very lucky...

IMO

• cdnreader
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tiger. I hear you.

I wanted to ask you guys - one contractor said for our upstairs about 700 square feet, the smallest two stage furnace is 60,000 BTU is that correct? This company installs Heil furnaces. And he also suggested installing a humidifier as well to help with the heating.

Now that I am starting over and looking at two stage furnaces, should I still be looking at two 40,000 BTU furnaces?

Many thanks again.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>I wanted to ask you guys - one contractor said for our upstairs about 700 square feet, the smallest two stage furnace is 60,000 BTU is that correct? This company installs Heil furnaces

Not true. Heil and other brands have 40K 2 stage furnaces.