Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grr8dane

Furnace brand price comparison

Grr8Dane
18 years ago

My 30+ year old furnace urgently needs replacing, winter arrived yesterday, and I know NOTHING about furnaces. I've been finding a lot of useful information on this forum and other places on the internet, but I can't seem to get a feel for how the different brands compare price-wise. Since I'm only planning on staying in the house another year or two, I don't want to spend any more than I need to. Which brands are considered high-, medium- and low-priced?

Comments (42)

• georgehvacnj
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

well who told you to wait for the last minite , do u live in the projects or a high end of town thatwill determine what your price will be............

• tigerdunes
    18 years ago

Grr8Dane

First of all, you probably are not going to find accurate information on prices-mainly because prices vary depending on different markets and areas of country.

Here are my ideas on HVAC equipment. There are three tiers.

Top tier(and price) include Trane,Lennox, Carrier-premium equipment with high price and usually the bells and whistles.

Mid tier-not as expensive as the top but good dependable equipment without the large advertising budget as the top tier-usually not cutting edge features or the top efficiencies particularly in HP and AC outside condensors. I consider Rheem and Armstrong in this category which makes very solid equipment in furnaces.

Bottom tier-here you will get some disagreement but this equipment is usually sold more on price than quality-it is low end budget/builder model equipment. Warranties sometimes are not as strong and/or have too many exclusions. Problems with this equipment can include less than top notch installing dealers. Usually this equipment can be purchased by any dealer with the proper HVAC credentials, in other words, this manufacturer will sell to anyone. I could name some brands but I think if you read a few posts on this forum, you can figure that out and really they are too numerous to list.

My opinion.

• iggie
    18 years ago

Good post Tiger, very true many of the economy brands are sold to anyone, many whosalers handling these brands will sell to anyone with the cash. However, one thing I want to caution about. Buying one of the top line prtcey brands from a factory authorized dealer with lots of yellow page ad space etc, will not guarantee a good installation. Some of these guys put out hack jobs too. Also the factory will be of little help, despite all their claims about customer care and concern. Profit is the name of the game,and a dealer selling several hundred units per year can do no wrong where the factory is concerned. So what ever brand you select, and all will give decent service if properly installed, check the contractor out as thoroughly as you can. Try to select one with a good rep and that has been around for a time.

• mowers
    18 years ago

I agree with Trane and Lennox.

Avoiding crack installers..You should be able to weed out crack installers by what they tell you when them come to your house to give you an estimate. Get 3 or 4 estimates at a minimum so you can compare.

Eliminate immediately (!!) anyone who comes to your house and checks the size of your furnace or A/C and then estimates based on replacing with the identical size. A good installer will never do this, but will size based upon measuring your home square footage, wall thickness, age of home, duct sizes, window type and age, etc. There are sizing calculations. Avoid oversizing your A/C equipment..a very common mistake.

Check with your town on permit requirements for change outs. Immediately eliminate installers that tell you they do not need any permits. Especially when electrical changes are required or you go with a high efficiency unit. High efficiency units require additional changes over a low efficiency unit...know these before you get estimates so you know if the crack installer is educated properly. Call your town building inspector, they can help you.

• mowers
    18 years ago

I agree with Trane and Lennox.

Avoiding crack installers..You should be able to weed out crack installers by what they tell you when them come to your house to give you an estimate. Get 3 or 4 estimates at a minimum so you can compare.

Eliminate immediately (!!) anyone who comes to your house and checks the size of your furnace or A/C and then estimates based on replacing with the identical size. A good installer will never do this, but will size based upon measuring your home square footage, wall thickness, age of home, duct sizes, window type and age, etc. There are sizing calculations. Avoid oversizing your A/C equipment..a very common mistake.

Check with your town on permit requirements for change outs. Immediately eliminate installers that tell you they do not need any permits. Especially when electrical changes are required or you go with a high efficiency unit. High efficiency units require additional changes over a low efficiency unit...know these before you get estimates so you know if the crack installer is educated properly. Call your town building inspector, they can help you.

• Grr8Dane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the help. I just found out about the problem a few days ago, and as a recent widow I'm finding the process a bit intimidating - especially when I see the pages and pages of heating contractors in the Yellow Pages. I figured it would help me narrow my choices a little if I at least knew which brand I wanted. Which tier would American Standard fit into, TigerDunes?

Any suggestions on how to go about checking out a contractor? I don't seem to have any friends who have had any experience with local heating contractors.

• unearthly
    18 years ago

American Standard is the parent company of Trane. Their furnaces are the same as the Trane models, just a different label and name. If you consider Trane to be in the top-tier then so is American Standard.

Trane XV-90 is the same as the American Standard Freedom 90 Comfort-R

Trane XV-80 is the same as the American Standard Freedom 80 Comfort-R

Here is a link that might be useful: American Standard Heating & Cooling

• tigerdunes
    18 years ago

Grr8Dane

Unearthly is correct. American Std furnaces are identical to Trane. And yes I consider Amer Std as a top furnace. I like Carrier/Bryant and Trane/Am Std but the Rheem modulating may be my top choice because it is usually a better value.

Choosing equipment is tough but finding a reputable dealer is tougher. I prefer doing business with authorized dealers. I would check how long a dealer has been in business, check the BBB for complaints, ask neighbors,friends, or people at your workplace about suggestions for qualified dealers. I hate to say it but yes it is a daunting task worse than purchasing an automobile.
    Make certain your dealer performs a Manual J heat/cool load calculation for properly sizing HVAC equipment and reviews it in detail room by room. Inform dealer of any problem areas with current system other than being old and inefficient. And don't forget to have your ductwork thoroughly inspected. Good equipment, good ductwork, and good install equals a satisfied customer.

My opinion.

• Grr8Dane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, now that I'm back from Thanksgiving, I've finally got a couple of estimates. One of the guys is giving me a choice between a single-stage and a two-stage furnace for my 1000 sq. ft. ranch in northern Illinois, and I was leaning towards choosing the two-stage. Then the second guy told me he wouldn't recommend a two-stage for my home because those are only for two-story homes. Is he correct?

• tigerdunes
    18 years ago

Grr8Dane,

In one word, NO!

Personally, I like the 2 stage var speed models. I don't think the 2 stage with a conventional motor(not var speed) are worth it. If you plan to be in home many yrs, then yes look at the 2 stg var speed units(and yes they cost more)-if not go with a high eff 92+ AFUE single stg model.

My opinion.

• knutz1
    18 years ago

I got estimates for furnace/ac condenser replacement - Trane, Centurion (York), Goodman and local utility used York. The prices ranged from $8400 (local utility - York) to $5000 for Centurion. All quotes based upon single stage AFUE 80% 100k plus (BTU) 3-3.5 ton condensor with 12-13 Seer.

No one did a Manual J - they all relied upon existing 25+ year old unit. Which by the way all said should be replaced b/c motor is bad. What does that mean? Trane guy did say he could replace the motor for $500 (he would give back $250 if I later decided to replace unit). it is all so confusing - I am a new homeowner and this is the first major item.

Has anyone had any experience with Centurion? Please help. Thanks

• jhdla
    18 years ago

I just replaced my gas furnace (no A/C) as I discovered that my current furnace was a Premier NOx which was subject to a recall several years ago and is a major fire and CO menace. While researching furnaces on the Web I discovered www.servicemagic.com which gave me 4-5 leads on pre-screened local installers who all emailed and phoned with 1 hour. 2-3 of them were very good and while I ended up choosing none of them because they weren't official Lennox dealers (I ended up choosing a Lennox 80% 2-stage 5 ton model) I would have been comfortable with several of them. A good way to get comparable quotes at least.

Here is a link that might be useful: ServiceMagic

• mishaluba
    18 years ago

Here are some numbers for comparison. I don't know if SEARS is available in your area, but I just signed a contract with them. They will be putting in Carrier units (both furnace and a/c), which I think are considered rather high-end. Furnace is 110K BTU, 2-Stage. A/C is 5 ton unit, 13 SEER. Overall price comes to around $8500. We could have saved about $1000 by going with 12 SEER unit, but 13 SEER unit comes with much better warranty (5yr labor/10 yr parts versus 1yr labor/5 yr parts), so we figured it was worth it. They are installing tomorrow, I will try to remember to follow up about what happened.

• srmommad
    17 years ago

1985 - 10 SEER required by Feds. 1/23/2006 13 SEER new requirement. Both were/are minimum requirements and do not affect existing equipment. SEER is Seasonal Energey Efficiency Ratio. Also as of this year, all Air Conditioning Heat Pumps must have a 13SEER/7.7 HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor). A 13 SEER unit is 30% more efficient than a 10 SEER unit. Five bids from established and recommended companies have indicated: Avoid Goodman products (even though two are authorized distributors they would not even quote them to me)as they are prone to total failures. As indicated previously ... many companies own other companies that are equal quality and some that are not (i.e. Lennox 'vs' Ducane do not). If you buy a two stage AC you will need to get variable furnace. If you buy one stage AC it will run on either single or two stage furnace. Two stage furnace is an immediate energy $$ saver. It can be controlled via two stage thermostat (many do not recommend this due to sensitivity to opening doors etc.) or via timing on furnace. To explain timing version: Furnace knows it has been running 8 minutes and the thermostat still isn't happy ... time to kick in to second stage. If it satisfies the thermostat in under the 8 (or whatever it is set for) it runs at 50% and thus saves $$$. Hope this has been helpful.

• rsmirk
    17 years ago

My HVAC system needs to be replaced because our heating service guy said that the heater is cracked and rusted, so we are risking CO poisoning. Also, the AC doesn't work.

We have an estimate for an American Standard package that includes:

two stage, variable speed gas furnace
    13 SEER AC
    humidifier/air purification system (Not American Standard, Nature's home humidifier, micropowerguard filters, and UV light).

The estimate is 10K. Is this reasonable? We live in NJ.

Also, does anyone know anything about the refrigerants used in the AC's? I know that the R-22 refrigerant is being phased out as of 2010. Does that mean we should not get a system that uses R-22 refrigerant?

• jackt55
    17 years ago

I am always suspicious of a service person who gives this line. Have another company look at your furnace and give you an estimate on the AC repair before you spend $10K for a new system. As noted above, get three to four estimates and if other companies do not mention the broken heat exchanger, do not consider the person who has given you that current advice. Check your area for a reliable source of good installers. I used Checkbook.org for the Chicago area this year and had a tough time deciding between two excellent companies that were top listed in their reviews for my area.

• kennurse
    17 years ago

I personally like Carrier products. I installed the Carrier Infinity series variable speed, 2 stage furnace in my New Orleans home. The result was the most amazingly quiet and comfortable system you can imagine. My opinion is it was worth the price premium. As you probably are painfully aware, the price of natural gas tripled. A new high efficency variable speed gas furnace will pay huge comfort dividends and it will pay for itself over time. Your friends are touting variable speed furnaces in general because they save money year round. They have what is called an ECM blower motor which, most of the time, will use 60-90 watts of electricity instead of 600 watts that a standard furnace blower uses. The Carrier model Infinity has complete integration of all comfort factors like no other manufacturer--two stage gas valve and blower speed, dehumidification, humidification and more. This can be done for way under 10,000 bucks unless you are replacing your a/c also. Before I got into the AC business, I had the complete Infinity system installed at RETAIL in 2004 including an air cleaner and custom sheet metal ductwork for $7700.00! I didn't get the higher efficiency Infinity furnace though, it is about $600-$800 more. I install and service heating and air as a second business so I do know prices, quality etc. All the manufacturers now have high efficiency equipment but none of them have what the Carrier Infinity series line has. I do not live anywhere near you and I have no interest in selling you on any particular model. I am just a registered nurse that makes a little extra dough doing AC work for friends, family and referrals. email me directly if you want more info. You buy whatever is right for your budget, house and family. I am just telling you my own experience. I want to help (like nurses do) By the way, there are sizeable tax credits this year for replacing with high efficiency equipment!

• jtotten
    17 years ago

Oh lord grant me patience...... after receiving 4 quotes from "reputable dealers" I am more confused than ever. My house is 1400 square feet with a current system of 2.5 ton capacity. Its a Trane that is 22 years old and its time for a new one. Only one of the 4 actually measured my house for the sq footage. Here are the results:
    1. Two said I need a 3 ton. One said 2.5 or 3 and it doesn't matter. One said he would not quote on a 3 ton because my house doesn't warrant it.

2. The SEER I asked to be quoted on is 14. All quoted me a Trane brand including air handler for appro $6,000!

3. After inquiring if I can simply install the condenser and skip the air handler (because it runs fine)... they all said no way! Two said that not installing the air handler would void the warranty Trane offers, one said it would not void the warranty but his firm wouldn't do it, and one said forget Trane because it costs too much and go with a Rheem (then said not to repeat it because he could get fired for saying that).

4. I contacted a buddy who left the A/C business after 17 years to see if he would simply install the outside unit. He said he could get a Centurion which comes with a 5 yr warranty on all parts (as compared to the Trane 5 year pts 10 yr compressor), and it would cost me $2,100. He went on to say that A/C compressors are much His feeling is that a Centurion (made by York), is just fine and not a Gucchi handbag like the Trane. 'sigh' He said the air handler unit can wait but don't wait too long. Total cost of job= $3,700.

So there ya go.... 6 Gs compared to 3.7Gs. I checked with a few references he gave me and they were completely satisfied. So.... a 13 Seer a/c w/heatpump unit, with new air handler will equal a 14 Seer altogether. I decided to go with this guy..... his reasoning about the price on a Trane being so high has to do with their advertising and in fact, the 10 year warranty on the compressor is in the higher price! I just hope i don't regret it.

But I would like to hear what others think about this.

• carlitos
    17 years ago

I got DUCANE ( Air handler and outdoor unit) Heat pump "13SEER, during installation the heat pack for some reason according to the technicien made the transformer blow, they changed it twice, the third time they decided to change he whole heat pack. When they brought the new one it was 10KW versus 25KW of the old one; what repercussion this would have on the whole unit?; and do you think $4300 is a good price to pay for this system?
    I appreciate your input, and thank you.

• bob_brown
    17 years ago

Hello,
    This thread is typical of the stories told in the HVAC industry this year. Many otherwise honest people just don't have a clue. Imagine a motor using 1/10 energy to do the same job. Motor design is basically the same since Tesla designed the first poly phase generator in the 1880's. Using a capacitor increases tork, and reduces winding size. Using a variable motor has never been cheaper in reality. Using a multispeed motor is much less expensive in operating costs than a variable speed motor. Physics do not change. Salesmen change facts to fit the sales pitch.

Spending $10k requires a lot of time to justify the added expense. Maybe 30 years or more. If you can buy a 13 SEER system for under $3000, the justification to spend another $7k, is similar to spending 10x more on eggs used daily.

So many installers have lied this year on new systems merits. Not from Greed, but from ignorance that was advertized by the manufacturers.

As I have mentioned before. In Texas, every manufacturer of trucks, claims they sell the most trucks in Texas. They may indeed sell more trucks to a specific market, but only one brand can advertize the most sales of trucks honestly.

• bk2000ext
    17 years ago

I am in upstate NY colder country area. I have 1900SF raised ranch home. Last fall I installed GOODMAN 70K 2 stage, variable speed two stage furnace. Normally we do not need AC most of the summer (would like to have 3 to 4 weeks in August) so I did not installed. Adjusted anticipation setting so that it runs every 25 to 30 min for 8 to 9 min. I keep 67F in house. Furnace hardly goes to 2nd stage i.e. 46K 1st stage can maintain the temp!
    Now why dealers are suggesting for big furnace 92K to 110K for 1400SF home? In Chicago area you need 35 BTU/SF living space!!! I think 60K to 70K BTU furnace is more than enough!

• blacknumber1
    17 years ago

New furnaces all suck. Fix your old one.

• claylaw
    17 years ago

What about a Bryant 310AAV? Is this a good dependable unit for a two story house about 1700sqft? The quote price was $3671. Is this a good price? This was the 3rd quote on a unit with quotes at 5800 for TRANE units that have var blowers. This is in Durham, NC.

• womyn42_tde_com
    16 years ago

My 16-year old furnace still seems to be running fine. About 4 years ago, I installed a Carrier central air conditioning unit, and now I'm wondering what will happen to it when I have to have my furnace replaced? I should still have some years left on the furnace, shouldn't I? I live in Denver in a 1922 brick ranch with full finished basement that was remodeled in 1991, and I'm wondering how much it's gonna cost me to replace my furnace... ?

• wliu57
    16 years ago

Hi all,

I just got a quote:

American Standard: Furnace 80BTU 80%, 2 stage
    AC: Premium Allegiance: 3.5 ton, 14 SEER
    Full service for $8600
    I am in Cypress, Southern CA, 1500 SF.
    Is this good price?

Thanks!!!

Wei

• woodbury
    16 years ago

From seeing the other messages I see some prices seem too high.

Which furnace should you buy?

Every furnace dealer will try to convince you that they have the best furnace.
    In order to make the right decision you need to know the facts about what a furnace is made of. First of all, the furnace manufacturers do not make many of the parts in the furnace. The furnace manufacturers buy the parts from companies like GE, Honeywell, White Rodgers, Robertshaw, and several other companies. These furnace parts consist of motors, controls, igniters, electronics, pressure switches, and gas valves. In other words the parts that are most likely to have a problem if one occurs. So some furnaces have for example, Honeywell gas valves or other parts even if they are different furnace manufacturers.

The furnace manufacturer builds the cabinet, heat exchanger and component housings. These furnace parts rarely have problems. From a reliability point of view they are all similar but each furnace manufacturer decides how long they will warranty their furnace. Today you can buy furnaces with lifetime warranties on the heat exchanger and 10 years on all other parts. Goodman offers these long warranties on their furnaces and so do some other furnace manufacturers but some do not. Why not let the furnace manufacturer pay for the part if one should fail instead of you?

The furnace efficiency is very important especially if you live in the north. The new furnaces come in 95% efficiency in some brands so if you want to keep a lid on your gas bills buy one of these.

Many furnace models come with 2 stage heating which helps keep your home more comfortable by giving you a gentler more even heat.

The price of the furnace becomes more relevant when you consider the facts of the construction of the furnace as I listed above. What determines the price of the furnace? Both the manufacturer and the dealer have to cover the costs involved in building and installing the furnace and also other costs like advertising.
    I install furnaces in Minnesota and I have seen that the price from dealer to dealer or brand to brand can be quite substantial. I recommend that you make a list of the important features something like this,

1. 95% High Efficiency
    2. Lifetime Warranty on the heat exchanger.
    3. 10 Years warranty on all other parts.
    4. 2 Stage Heating.
    5. Price.

Then if the first 4 most important features are met, you can compare apples to apples and see which dealer has the best price. Of course you want to make sure you are dealing with a reputable business who will take care of you if a problem occurs. Referrals from your neighbors or friends can be very helpful.

I have been installing furnaces in Woodbury, Minnesota for 21 years.

You can see how much our furnaces cost on our website. We just work in Woodbury, Oakdale, Maplewood, Cottage Grove Minnesota and the surrounding area so you will have to find someone in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: woodburyfurnace.com

• tom2112
    16 years ago

Another Goodman advertisement. What a surprise.

• winston44
    15 years ago

Hi folks,

I just got a quote for a new American Standard furnace and central AC.

$24,469 (zing!)

Wondering if anyone can help me pick this apart - so I know where exactly I'm getting gouged.

I live in an old brick victorian, with a coal fired furnace converted to gas. (Boulder, CO)

Removal of existing furnace and ducts wrapped in asbestos:
    $2,500

100K BTU 2 stage variable speed 95% efficient:
    $5,953

16 SEER 3.0 Ton AC, 3.5 Ton coil:
    $7,515

Electrical hookup for AC and furnace:
    $2,500

Install new supplies, return ducts in basement:
    $5,500

Install flue liner in chimney:
    $800

Condensate pump:
    $700

Install return duct from basement to 2nd floor:
    $1,500

Given what I've read here so far, I feel like this quote is way high, but I do have some complications not mentioned in the other posts here.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Winston

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

Winston,

Time for a few more quotes. That quote sounds unreasonable. Does it include all new ductwork? If so, is it all metal? Do you not have ample electric for the air conditioner and furnace already, hence the need to run more power? The equipment install alone is running up the cost. $8-9k ought to cover the equipment install alone, especially since they're gouging you on things such as electrical, condensate pump ($700? Take a hike!), a single return duct, equipment removal (I don't know where you live, but removing the equipment is part of the installation here!), etc.

• Tinmantu
    15 years ago

Winston....Asbestos removal sounds about right. But, I'm going to get out of this business and sell condensate pumps instead of oceanfront property in Kansas from now on. I suggest more bids and still plan on removal to not be cheap. Those old coal burners were strictly gravity flow and most had lots of asbestos, so adapting to old supplies and creating adequate return is going to cost some bucks. Plus hiring the high school weightlifting team to get it out of the basement. :)

• winston44
    15 years ago

...ryanhughes, thanks for the feedback.

The electrical circuits are necessary. While I've upgraded the electrical box, the basement has knob and tube wiring - so I do need two new circuits - but $2500 seems excessive. (regular wall circuits normally cost about $250 ea., so I'm puzzled by the $2500 quote).

The old ducts are metal wrapped (fully) in asbestos, so the furnace removal / duct removal charge of $2500 is about right (given other folks I've talked to about asbestos abatement costs). The old furnace is gigantic - and likely has an asbestos liner inside.

The $5500 for the new ducts (metal) covers the returns and supplies - so ALL the horizontal runs in the basement. The ducts in the walls - going up to the first floor & 2nd floor, will stay as-is. (the new ducts just tie in to those in the basement.)

There's 3 or 4 return ducts, 4-5 supply ducts, so, a decent amount of metal.

The condensate pump ($700) does seem odd. It's just a pump for water and a bit of plumbing to take it to the sewer line, eh?

Anyhow, does that info make things any different?

I am getting more quotes, but thought I'd get some totally unbiased feedback here (much appreciated!).

• stephe59
    15 years ago

For your comparisons... We were quoted this for a new gas furnace and AC, to replace a 16-yr-old Bryant with the rusted out, class-action-lawsuit-inspiring secondary heat exchanger. Installer is the same folks who had installed and been servicing the old furnace. We're in Madison, WI.

Bryant 355CAV060 variable capacity gas furnace, 95% AFUE, 22K/37K/56K BTUH output.
    1 Evolution control.
    1 Bryant 187A024 Evolution series, 2-stage AC-- 2 ton, 14.5 SEER.
    1 Aprilaire 2210 high efficiency air cleaner.
    Installation into existing ductwork.
    10-year warranty of all furnace and AC parts and labor.
    Limited lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger.

$6925 (after credit for the lawsuit-inspiring heat exchanger) - $1,000 Bryant bonus rebate = $5925.

Option 2:
    Bryant 352AAV060 2-stage, 93% AFUE gas furnace;
    14 SEER, 2 ton Bryant 165A024 AC; same air cleaner.
    $5575 - $400 Bryant bonus rebate = $5175.

Extra add-on: Aprilaire 500 humidifier, $500.

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

stephe

very good pricing. forget option 2.

what is your electric rate?

what size is your home?

I am not a fan of two stg condensers. why? they are unnecessary and overkill for 99%+ residential homes.

I would substitute Bryant's Preferred 15 AC with tin plated evap coil and if electric rates are reasonable, then the Preferred 15 Heat Pump. The tin plated coil is Bryant's best and insist on it whether the Evolution or Preferred 15 AC or HP.

IMO

• shawnt
    15 years ago

Back to the origional question. If I was only going to be in my house for another year, I would surely pick a lower priced furnace. Especially during sagging housing market, ie less payback on upgrades when time comes to sell. The lower priced furnaces I have learned to stay away from are Tempstar, and lower price York brands such as Evcon. Over the last 10 years I've owned my buisness I've put in many Janitrol (now Goodman) ac's and furnaces with very few problems. They have a bad rap, but as mentioned in the previous response they are made readily available to whomever has the cash. This results in many poor installs. Another low price furnace/ac brand I use that is a little lower price than Goodman is Comfort Air by Heat Controller, again very few problems.

• damselfly2_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I received the following quote below for an 1200SF house and I live in MA. The quote is for re-doing the entire system from 'ugly octopus' to high efficient furnace! can someone tell me if this sounds reasonable for the cost?
    I have additional quotes coming in but am not sure what to expect... thanks!
    Price Includes:
    Bryant High Efficiency (95%) Gas Fired Furnace
    Â New plenum and return set up with EZ Change Filter Rack
    Â All Ductwork required (re-hung and layout configuration)
    Â New Return Boxes
    Â All PVC venting required
    Â All gas plumbing hung and secured
    Â All high and low voltage wiring
    Â New 5-2 programmable Variable speed thermostat
    Â Condensate pump and drainage
    Â Removal of existing furnace and oil tank
    Â Termination cap for exhaust and supply combustion

Total Parts and LaborÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ$9,600

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

damsel

post the model and model number of furnace.

what if anything are you doing about AC?

you currently have oil forced air furnace?

td

• jasonfrank75
    15 years ago

that about the chines stuff?

• dfowler587_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I live Charlotte, NC.
    quote #1
    Energy Miser(never heard of it)
    13 seer a/c unit (10 yr. parts & labor)
    96% AFUE 2stage, variable speed furnace
    manual damper to control upstairs and downstairs airflow
    $6,900 ($9,900 w/ dual zone)
    quote #2
    York
    14 seer Hybrid a/c unit (10 yr. parts & 5 yr. labor)
    80% AFUE furnace.
    would not do manual damper.
    $10,490 ($13,525 w/ dual zone)
    quote #3
    Armstrong
    14 seer a/c unit (10 yr. parts & labor)
    80% AFUE furnace
    manual damper
    $4,500 ($5,495 w/ dual zone)

Is the Armstrong equipment inferior or is it because the contractors were independent and not part of a large company?

• london_2010
    13 years ago

I just got quoted to replace the furnace that is 14 years old. I have a quote for TRANE 80+ VARIABLE DOWNFLOW GAS FURNACE 81000 ubt for a 1800 sqft home. Total installed cost $3500 for furnace and labour in IL, Chicago area. 10yrs parts and labour waranty. I wonder if this is a good deal?

• rwoods4764
    13 years ago

i got a letter from williams comfort air says they will give 2137.00 off the price of furnace if i buy high eff air cooling system their price was 5993.00 after the 2137.00 + 500 instant rebate + i was to get a free air cleaner worth 597.00 + he added 498.00 labor thougt that was included in the price guess he had to get his rebate back their price was higher than the 2nd price of 5697.00 without any discounts or rebates he even got ugly when we said we were getting more estimates i know im not going on this one will update whe i get this done ron

• rwoods4764
    13 years ago

update had new york 96% high eff 80000 2 stage furnace Variable speed fan 16 seer air cooling system put in cost me 6500.00 with new Humidifer they cleaned all duck work and seal all joints 10-year warranty of all furnace and AC parts and labor.
    this was the best deal out of 4 co that i got quotes from

sears lowest $8000 up to $14000
    and one was low 6000 up to 7000

• chizper_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I just got a Ducane furnace 13 SEER and also complete air conditioning unit outside all replaced from very old ones. It was $4800 complete, which sounds like a very good price. So far so good. I was wondering if Ducane is a good unit, as that was what was available at the time and the price was right. It's already made a nice savings in our utilities compared to last year.