Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ja27_gw

Please help: New HVAC and Duct problem

Ja27
9 years ago

Please help me choose the correct HVAC.

I live in central Georgia. My home is a Williamsburg style with about 3300 sq ft total. This includes an unfinished basement of approximately 1100 sq ft.

The HVAC system that is installed now is about 25 years old. There is a 2-ton unit in the attic and a 2.5-ton unit in the basement with a 50 BTU furnance. Brand is builder installed ComfortMaker. It still runs, but during an inspection of the attic unit last summer we found what seemed to be burn marks on the unit. Seems the compressor may be cracked so it is not safe to run the attic heating unit anymore.

I have had three companies provide quotes for replacement. The first was a sole proprietor who said he could replace both units with American Standard 16 SEER two stage systems for $11500. The serial numbers provided were 4TTB6024A1000A and AUB1A60A9241A (furnace) for the 2-ton and 4TTB6030A1000A and AUD1A80A9361A for the 2.5 ton. Warranties were 10 year on compressor, 10 year parts, 20 year on heat exchanger and 2 years on labor. He said at first that my ducts were too small, then later said that they were ok. That's all the info that was given.

The second company quoted $16576 for two 16 SEER Carrier units and 50 BTU furnance even though I told them I preferred American Standard when I called their office and they said they could provide that. Once he got to my residence, he said he was a Carrier dealer only and they would have to charge a lot more to get an AS system. The unit number given was 24ACC630A003, coil CNPHP3617ALA, and furnace 58PHA070-16. The AFUE is an 80% boost motor, not two-stage. Warranties are 20 on heat exchanger, 10 on parts and compressor, and 1 on labor. He didn't mention anything about the ducts being too small.

The third company quoted $13900 for two 14 SEER American Standard units, or $15100 for two 16 SEER two-stage AS units. The salesman tried to dissuade me from purchasing the 16 SEER units, saying that I didn't really need those unless I intended to be in the home for a very long time. These prices included $500 per unit for duct cleaning (which I can decline if I like). Also included was the NEST programmable thermostat. This company told me that my ducts were too small (12 x 24 at the returns) and that I either needed to increase the size of the current ones and add another. I didn't want another hole cut in the walls, so he said he could leave the ducts as is and include a 10 year labor warranty (in house, not through AS) since having inadequate duct work could put more strain on the compressor and may cause it to fail early. This company also offered a heat pump for the same price as the gas-based system.

None of the companies did a load balance calculation. Company 2 said they would do one for an additional $600. Company 3 did some calculation to determine the correct sizing of the duct returns.

My questions: Please provide some feedback on these three companies. What do you think of the problem with the returns mentioned by Company 3 and their solution? Which, if any, of these three would you go with and why?

Thanks very much.

Comments (6)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What is size of upstairs zone and size of main floor zone?

What size is furnace for upstairs?

Heating fuel is nat gas?

And to be clear, basement is unfinished and has no ductwork for conditioned air?

Size and number of returns for main floor and upstairs zones?

Other than age, what if any were the problems of these old systems?

What exactly are you looking for in comfort and efficiency from new systems?

Post back

IMO

• Ja27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks very much for your reply.

The upstairs is 1100 sq ft. The main level is the same, as is the basement.

The upstairs furnace is 50 BTU.

The heating is natural gas.

There is ductwork in the basement that supplies the main floor. The basement is unfinished currently. That may change.

There are six vents upstairs with one return in the hall area. The return is 12x24.

There are eight vents downstairs with one return in the hall area. The return is 12x24.

I was told that the unit upstairs had a leak/crack in the compressor that could possibly leak carbon monoxide. There are marks on the outside of the unit that looks like burn marks. The heating unit performed fine the last time we used it before we found out about the burn marks. It is about 25 years old and about 8 SEER. The cooling unit seems to run almost all of the time in the summer.

The downstairs unit also performs ok but needs a serious duct cleaning due to water from a pipe bursting in the kitchen getting into some of the ducts. We haven't used it in quite a while.

The house has humidity problems sometimes (window condensation and my indoor hygrometer can get near 80% in the summer but is around 50% in the winter) and we would like a system that can take care of that and be more efficient. The upstairs unit seems to run all of the time in the summer. The stat is usually set around 75. I was told that 16 SEER two-stage would fit the bill. Other ac companies told me I needed nothing more than the typical 13 SEER. Some family members have asthma and I also want something that will help with that.

How can I tell if my ductwork really needs to be enlarged?

Thanks much for your input

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

You have to tackle this air infiltration humidity problem. I assume source is basement. What do quoting dealers suggest? There is always a whole house dehumidifier but that does nothing except remove humidity not the source of the humidity.

I like AmStd HVAC but do not like the equipment dealer has selected or the size of the furnaces.

I would say your returns are undersized. My suggestion is to add another return to each floor.

Your terminology about cracked compressor is confusing. You mean furnace heat exchanger?

IMO

• Ja27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your input.

The quoting dealers suggest a more efficient AC than my current 8 SEER will solve the humidity problem, and that a 16 SEER 2-stage would handle that the best (one dealer suggested that 13 SEER was sufficient). They said that a dehumidifier is built into these newer units.

There is currently a standalone dehumidifier that runs continuously in the basement.

Can you suggest the AmStd equipment that could possibly solve my problems and the appropriate furnance size?

I did mean cracked heat exchanger. Sorry about that.

The last dealer wanted to include a 10 year labor warranty on the AC in case the undersized returns damaged the compressor instead of upsizing the returns. Compressor would then be replaced and installed at no charge. Good or bad idea?

Thanks again.

• sktn77a
    9 years ago

"The quoting dealers suggest a more efficient AC than my current 8 SEER will solve the humidity problem". Huh?

"They said that a dehumidifier is built into these newer units." It is?

Unless you misunderstood what these dealers said, I'd keep looking.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Like above post from skin, lots of nonsense coming from these dealers about your humidity issue and features of new HVAC to address this.

Before condemning these dealers for misinformation, you need to go back and ask for clarification.

Still say the source of the humidity has to be addressed. The idea that dehumidifier runs non stop says a great deal. What is setting?

It is true that two stage condensers will help on dehumidification. I would want this type system for main floor level with dehumidify on demand set up.

But the suggestion that your new systems will cure your humidity problem is not correct.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 7:47