Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrier System Quote and Furnace question

Posted by morriscountynj (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 07 at 1:08

My furnace went this week. It's a 17 years old carrier Model 58SSB so it's lived a long life already. Technician came out one day and repaired it replacing the circuit board and the pilot assembly for $800. It was was working when he left, but it died again the next morning and I was told the inducer motor now had seized. Another $350 plus $100 in labor. The service company is now offering to credit me that whole amount toward a new furnace. A Carrier Perfomance 80 Gas Furnace CTA 110-112 for roughly $4,000 in total.
If I relace my AC unit too they are suggesting a 3 Ton unit 95,000 BTU Carrier Perfomance Series AC unit with new Perfomance Series Evaporator Coils for another $5300.

It's the first quote I've gotten but they've had my business for a long time and have seemed compentent up until this week. The whole thing with furnace breaking the day after it was repaired has shaken me my faith.

2 questions - do the quotes seem fair? And did the first repair on my furnace end killing the inducer or is it likely that the first repairs were necessary to begin with?

Thanks for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrier System Quote and Furnace question

The only way to tell if a quote is fair is to get more quotes for comparison.

Post model numbers of condenser and a/c coil to verify SEER/EER and btu rating.

o

Choice Number 1
94% AFUE / Carrier
Two stage gas furnace 58MVB080-114
80,000 BTU/H
Carrier Condensing Unit 24APA536 / 14 SEER
Carrier Coil CNPVP4221
36,000 BTU / 3 Tons
Roughly $8,500

Choice Number 2
80% AFUE / Carrier
Two stage gas furnace 58CTA110-112
110,000 BTU/H
Carrier Condensing Unit 24APA536 / 14 SEER
Carrier Coil CNPVP4221
Roughly $7,000
36,000 BTU / 3 Tons

Any thoughts would be welcomed. Is a higher efficiency furnace going to offsett the fact that it's less BTU's?

o

morris

I would not purchase a new furnace without a var speed blower.

I would not purchase an 80% AFUE gas furnace unless I had reasonable electric rates and paired with a heat pump. If you don't have reasonable electric rates, then go with the highest eff gas furnace available.

I would not purchase a Carrier Infinity gas furnace without the Infinity controller.

And finally, you should insist upon a written heat/cool load calculation.

IMO
Good LucK!

o

That combo of condenser and heat pump is rated at 35,000 btu cooling (almost a full 3 tons), 12.95 EER, and 15 SEER. It is a Performance 15 Puron. Those are excellent EER and SEER numbers.

As for the gas furnace, higher efficiency means less fuel waste and doesn't have anything to do with btus. I would question the big difference in the size of the gas furnace between the 2 choices (110k versus 80k is a huge difference). Your original post mentions 95k btus. These numbers are all over the place. Anybody do a heat gain/loss calc?

There is a 15% savings in gas consumption between a 94% and 80% efficient furnace. The 94% does not qualify for the $150 Federal Tax Credit (must be 95%). The a/c system qualifies for a $300 Federal Tax Credit (15 SEER, 12.5 EER min) plus another $50 for the variable speed fan in the air handler.

Best to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Federal Tax Credits

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here