Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grizmul

Help with Bryant zoning

grizmul
9 years ago

Hi, I am having a new system installed in a new construction. I am questioning the installers knowledge so I need to get my facts straight. Equipment used is the evolution variable speed furnace, connex controls, hrv, and evolution variable speed AC 189BNV.

My question regards the connex controls. This is a 3 zone system, what do I need to use or verify that the installer is using to make sure this system is correct.

He mentioned using 3 connex controls (SYSTXBBECC01-A) and I think the PREFERRED� ZONE PERFECT PLUS ZONING SYSTEM. Is this correct? I looked at the zone dampers and they were honeywell ZD10x14..... I thought they should use bryant modulating dampers. Do they need 3 of the connex controls -- one for each zone ?

So my question is what is needed, in terms of zone controllers, thermostats, dampers for this 3 zone setup? Does the connex controller mentioned control the damper directly?

Comments (13)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

This sounds like a mess. You're right to question their knowledge, they are using the completely wrong zone panel and the completely wrong dampers. They need to use the Evolution zone panel with the Bryant modulating dampers. The system they are trying to install will not even turn on.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 6:51

• grizmul
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response. Any idea what zoning tools they should be using? I don't know where else to turn. Would calling bryant be of use?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

OK, here is how the Evolution zone system works. First off you need to use the Evolution zone panel, SYSTXBB4ZC01. You only want one Connex control for the whole system. This will go in your primary zone. Then, in the other 2 zones, you need zone sensors. You have 2 options. You can get the simple sensor SYSTXBBRRS01, which is just a little white box on the wall with no controls that reports the temperature to the Evolution system. Or, you can get the smart sensor SYSTXBBSMS01 which has controls and a display that lets you adjust that particular zone's settings from within the zone itself. No matter which sensors you pick, the Connex control will let you adjust the settings for the particular zone it's in and each of the other zones in the system. Then, for modulating dampers you have 3 choices: DAMPREC (rectangular), DAMPRND (round) and DAMPSL (slip-in). It's up to the contractor to choose the correct dampers for the application.

The installation of this system is involved, and the fact that they could not even specify the correct model numbers worries me. It suggests they have never installed it before, which makes me wonder if they'll do it correctly.

• grizmul
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, this info is perfect. I'm positive they have never installed this setup before and it worries me too. It's a sticky situation but basically I'm stuck with these guys although they are willing to work with me. I think my best hope is that I can hire a third party to check over the setup but I need to do this quickly as it won't be long before they close in the walls. I don't know what company would be willing to help me since these guys have already installed all the equipment. All the duct work is in and the modulating furnace as well. Maybe a call to bryant directly could help me find someone in the DC area.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Did they already install the incorrect panel/tstats/dampers?

• grizmul
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They've installed the duct work and the furnace. There are three zones and they did install the 3 dampers but I told them to take them out and put the correct ones in and that is where we left it friday. I will ask him to get the equipment you have listed here: panel, single connex control and zone sensors.

I take it once we get the proper equipment in then the setup is tricky? Maybe that is where I try to get a third party involved although I will probably try to call bryant or a dealer around me that could possibly help them.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Considering how advanced the system is, it's not particularly difficult to configure, the components will recognize each other, talk to each other, and set themselves up accordingly (though there are a few inputs that need to be made).

It's just not like a traditional system where you can slap it in and fire it up. Duct design is crucial for it to work properly.

Another thing to check: the Zone Perfect Plus can use a bypass damper. The Evolution system does not need one, and in fact cannot even be used with one. Make sure they didn't install one, and if they did, make sure they remove it and block off/remove the bypass.

• grizmul
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I made sure they didn't put in a bypass damper.

What do you mean when you say duct design is crucial? Is that the sizing of the ducts? We had a pretty detailed Man-J done by a third party but that is a general duct layout. Does the evolution require special design? I know they put in manual dampers along each supply line to change the amount of air if it's too much.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Well duct design is always important, but especially so for zone systems. Both duct sizing and layout is important. Manual J is for calculating heat loss/gain... have you had a Manual D done?

The nice thing about the Evolution system is that it can do a pretty good job assessing the duct system, and can let you know if there is an issue.

• grizmul
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, there was a Duct D as well. They followed that plan well and I think they did a great job with the ducts. All of them are taped with the metal tape and have goop all around the seams so it looks to be sealed quite well.

I will insist they put in the modulating dampers and will give them the list of items you mentioned. They have already grumbled some on the cost of the modulating dampers. I will find out tomorrow and give an update.

What might be some of the pitfalls of configuring the system you mentioned above? I am going to keep a close eye on this and would like to ask them to do the proper things.

Thanks a bunch. I feel much better after chatting with you.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I was mainly worried about them having trouble with zoning in general, there are a lot of possible pitfalls there. But, not too many specific to the Evolution system. It's pretty much impossible to miswire, but they need to make sure to do the configuration of the thermostat correctly. My #1 recommendation for them is to read the manual, all of that stuff is detailed there. It sounds like they've done a good job designing the rest of the HVAC system, they just goofed on the ordering of the zoning components.

• grizmul
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so it looks like the guys are ordering the correct parts now with the slip in bryant dampers. All is good atm. The zones are 700cfm, 700cfm and 350 cfm so they should balance out fairly well... I hope. The system as a 60k modulating variable speed furnace and a 4 ton A/C that is the variable speed/multi stage. I know the 60k sounds small but according to the man-J we only will need about 54k for heat and a little over 3 tons for the A/C but enough to go up to 4ton since they dont have a 3.5 ton. But they did order the parts from this design guide: http://dealer-meeting.behler-young.com/flashdrive/EvolutionZoningDesignGuide.pdf

• PRO
    CJ Mechanical of North jersey llc.
    9 years ago

Im certain your gonna need a bryant tech out there to adjust it.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler