Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with hot water heater

Posted by brenzo77 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 23:28

I really hope somebody here can help me. A week and a half ago I woke up to no hot water. After doing a bit of research online I decided the replace the thermocouple on my gas hot water heater becuase the pilot light wouldn't stay lit. I don't know much about this kind of stuff but found step by step instructions online to fix the problem. I replaced the thermocouple and it worked. The hot water heater worked for about a week and again today I woke up to no hot water. The only thing I noticed that was different than before was that when I relight the pilot light the flame seems to flicker orange flames rather than the nice blue flame that I had before. I really don't have the money to replace the hot water heater right now. Any Ideas? Should I try and replace the thermocouple again? Could the pilot light be dirty somehow? How would I go about cleaning it if tht is the problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The cold showers are quite invigorating in the morning, but it's getting a bit old. Thanks ever so much for you help in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with hot water heater

Does the pilot remain lit when you relight it? If so then I doubt it is the thermocouple.

Usually if a gas flame is orange than there may be some obstruction (dirt particles) in the gas line. This could be a coincidence with the thermocouple problem or your work may have caused this. This may resolve itself in time.

You need to think twice before attempting to did this on your own. If something is wrong with a gas stove you at least are nearby to shut it off if a problem develops. A gas hot water heater turns it self on and off. No one is around to turn it off if a gas leak develops. Do not dismantle your gas pilot connections.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here