Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air Conditioner Cover???

Posted by MileHighDiva (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 23:11

I bought an Air Conditioner in September, during an end of season sale. The company that I bought it from told me that I don't need a cover when I asked about it. They stated, AC units are built to withstand wind and snow etc. Just to hose it off at the end of spring.

We had our first snowstorm over the past 24 hours, so it's too late for me to prevent tons of snow getting on/in it.

One of the companies I got a bid from said a cover can damage the unit. I just want to protect my investment. They have tons of them on Amazon.

What are the pros and cons of using an AC cover? Please advise!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air Conditioner Cover???

I use a 'temporary' cover (over exhaust fan) to prevent falling leaves to enter.

Using a full cover can create a nice cozy spot for critters to winter-over.

Outdoor units need to breathe.`-+

o

Milehighdiva

On the surface those covers seem like a no brainer.

However, I agree with V.

A compromise that I like is to get a sized piece of plywood to cover the AC condenser top and place a cinder block on the plywood to stabilize.

This stops the leaves, snow, and ice yet let's the condenser breath without collecting condensation.

Just an idea.

IMO

o

In most climates, covers on anything outdoors, cars, AC units, patio furniture, need to be able to release moisture at the top of the cover. Water vapor is less dense than air so it rises into an enclosure and concentrates. If the covers can't breathe, you get a rain forest climate going in there. Excessive moisture accumulates and can cause corrosion.

o

Thank you for the replies! I might try this: http://www.amazon.com/CONDITIONER-COVER-Season-Black-Premieraccovers/dp/B003CUPH8K/ref=sr_1_11?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1319757746&sr=1-11

It only covers the top and it's mesh. But, before I order I'll measure the unit and see how much it will cost for the local hardware store to create a plywood top as suggested by tigerdune.

o

You might check your local home center. I have seen odd- sized sheets of plywood or strand board (much cheaper).

V

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here