Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin1900

High-efficiency heater worthwhile for garage

kevin1900
10 years ago

I'm in SE Michigan, planning an install of a gas unit heater in the garage. Of the two Modine units I am considering, we have 45,000 BTU, 82% efficient, $950. The other is 55,000 BTU, 93% efficient (condensing), $1275. Both are plus installation.

Is it worthwhile from an energy cost standpoint to put in the high-efficiency heater, given that normally it will be maintaining the garage at 40 degrees?

Are there offsetting costs such as easier installation or what have you for the high-efficiency unit? I do have a drain available.

I calculate the heat loss at 8700 BTU to maintain the garage at 40. It's 25 by 27, 9' ceilings, insulated and drywalled.

I can afford to do this right, but no need to throw away money.

Comments (9)

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Isn't there anything smaller? That is a lot of excess capacity, but I suppose you might want fast recovery after you open the big door.

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

Are these figures, 45,000Btu & 55,000Btu net output or just input values? If theyâÂÂre input values then the 45MBtu unit will deliver 36.9MBtu while the 55MBtu unit will deliver 51.15MBtu. ThatâÂÂs about a 30% greater output for the 55MBtu unit.

This may all be moot as ionized pointed out that this may be a lot of excess capacity.

However⦠just thinking âÂÂout loudâ here, might it be possible to combine a unit that would produce instantaneous DHW (tankless) with the need to heat the garage?

Just askingâ¦

SR

• kevin1900
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This isn't a sizing thread. The heat loss information is provided as an indication of energy use, because my question is about fuel consumption vis a vis two units, one which is cheaper but uses more gas.

If you wish to discuss sizing then you should start a thread on that topic. Thanks.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

"If you wish to discuss sizing then you should start a thread on that topic. Thanks."

Are you kidding?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

It is difficult to answer your question without knowing how much you pay for fuel. For the calculation I used $1 for 100,000 BTU.

The more expensive heater is 14% more efficient than the less expensive one. I calculate it will take 1048 days at heating the garage at the heat loss design conditions in order to break even on the cost of the heaters. It will take longer for every day the heat loss is less, and less time if the heat loss is greater.

The calculation will need to be redone with the actual installation costs.

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

Re: Kevin

Sorry if I hijacked your thread.

IâÂÂll start my own next time I canâÂÂt figure out how best to heat my garage.

Wait! WasnâÂÂt it YOU that asked for advice?

Sorry I tried educating you with questions that might have caused you to think.

Good Grief!

SR

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

fsq4cw,

I suspect he'll not be back.

lol

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

Re: salti

Thanks for your original post. Glad to see someone was awake!

SR

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

SR,

You're an active and valuable contributor here. The OP should not bite the hand....

SaltiDawg