Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsc3507

Trane XR95 Single stage verses XV95 dual stage.

dsc3507
12 years ago

I am having a completely new heating system installed in an existing home. Current ducting and furnace are in a poorly accessible crawl space. The new furnace will be installed in the living space and ducts will be in the attic. This is a single story home located in Cape May, NJ. It is about 1200 square feet.

I have many quotes on the job and I am about to select a dealer that sells Trane. The quote is for the XR95 furnace single stage furnace 80K BTU. I have the option of the XV95 two stage at an additional cost of $1000.

The furnace will be located in a laundry room that is adjacent to the master bedroom. My thoughts are that the two stage would be running on low most of the time and thus produce less noise. The XV also has a better warranty and seems to have better reviews (for whatever they are worth)

The dealer is not trying to push the XV. He said the payback would be longer than the life of the unit. I am not so worried about payback as I am about noise and quality of heat. I am also adding AC so that may factor in also.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this?

Comments (3)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Dsc

The XR95 furnace is a sgl stg model with conventional PSC blower motor.

The XV95 furnace is a two stg mdl with a variable speed blower motor.

Both are 95% eff condensing furnaces that require outside venting for combustion air and waste gas. How does dealer propose to accomplish
    this?

The XV95 will be much quieter than the XR95 model. The XV95 will require a good two stg thermostat for best operation and full functionality like HW VP 8321 mdl.

I would want to see a load calc for heating. I would think the 60 KBTU mdl would be plenty of heat. More is not better. Still see good dealers who
    want to oversize.

I always recommend ductwork system be thoroughly inspected-size, leaks, insulation qualities, adequate return, etc.

IMO

• CigarLover
    12 years ago

Hey Dsc,
    Do yourself a favor, listen to TigerDunes. This guy knows what he's talking about. Big time! He has helped me a lot on Hvac questions & issues. I must say that you are looking to purchase the right product. Trane & American Standard (Same company) make excellent Hvac equipment. I just installed a complete new system in my mothers home last month & it's supreme! If you can afford the added cost go with the Variable speed. It's incredible technology. I wouldn't even think of going with single speed after seeing the Variable work. It's a no-brainer. You do need an outside venting source for sure. Also, Yes I agree with Tiger you don't need 80K, go with the 60K & you will be good. My mothers home is 1500 sqft & we went with 60K Btu. It heats up well. Make sure you get a matched system if you go with A/c. Good luck with your purchase/install.

• veesubotee
    12 years ago

As a Jersey resident, I can categorically state that you can get along with less than 60,000 BTUs.

My 2500 SF, 2 story home calcs out at 59,620 BTUs. It is 23 years old.

V