Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmsparty

Choices! Bryant, York, something else?

kmsparty
13 years ago

My current furnace & AC is 14 years old. They are Goodman GMP100-3 furnace and Goodman CK30-1B. Till now the furnace has always worked fine. The AC struggles though and can't get down to the set 72 degrees when it is very hot outside. The circuit board on my furnace went and the part is a little over $600. The guy doesn't recommend putting this money into this unit.

I need some advice on what to get. If I replace the furnace, it's my understanding that I should do the AC at the same time. My home is a 2 story with basement, about 2000 sq. ft. I live near Cincinnati where we have a fair amount of cold weather.

What type of furnace/AC do you recommend?

Two prices I seen advertised were for:

York TM9X and YCJF for $5995 or

Bryant 353 and 116A for $6600

Would you do either of these or is there something in the same price range you think is better?

Do either of these require changes in ductwork (or whatever) from what I already have?

Comments (6)

• neohioheatpump
    13 years ago

I'm a York fan. York also makes coleman and luxaire which are the same thing for cheaper.

You should to see if you can upgrade your A/C to a heatpump. That shouldn't cost alot of money more. You would then have dual-fuel and a truly efficient and flexible system. I'm up the road north of you a ways (cleveland). I have a luxaire (same as york) heatpump matched with a 90% furnace. I like their products. Very under-rated. Its a very quiet condensor (if you go with the mid-line). YCJF is the same condensor I have but heatpump version of luxaire.

Ask for the heatpump upgrade for the same price or a little more and tell him he'll get the job.

If you get dual fuel you'll run the heatpump when 30 or 35 and above. Very comfy system setup this way.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

kmsparty

I would want to see the full equipment listing of each quote along with mdl numbers/size for furnace, condenser, evap coil, thermostat, and any other auxilliary equipment that was included.

just looking at the Goodman mdl numbers, I would say you might be oversized on furnace and undersized on AC.

do you know your electric and nat gas rate? any rate incentive for HP use?

IMO

• kmsparty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HVAC guy is coming today so I will get more info and post later. I was thinking about a heat pump, but didn't know if it was really appropriate for this area. Plus, I don't really understand how to work it. I get the concept, but not the set up. I will ask for explanations from the guy. No incentive for HP. I don't know my rates right now, but electric and gas are both very, very close in price right now, with electric sometimes being lower.

• neohioheatpump
    13 years ago

if you get a nice thermostat kit you can control between gas and heatpump automatically. You can request the honeywell focus pro wireless kit. It has an outdoor temp sensor. It displays outdoor temp on indoor thermostat. You can set switch from gas to heatpump in 5 degree increments. It works nice. Thats what I have. This kit costs more money but it saves installer time.

• kmsparty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is what I am thinking of going with. Husband is insisting on larger AC so this might look like a little larger than I need but..........

AC: Bryant 116BNA036, 3 ton, 16 seer, matching evaporator coil
    Furnace: Bryant 355CA0060080, 95% eff, 80000 BTU, variable capacity
    Evolution thermostat, media filter, 2" PVC flue, all other neccesseties. Also, were are moving the location of the AC unit outside so there is extra for that.
    The total is $8810. After all available rebates, it brings the price to $6510.
    Can someone advise on if this is a decent price for this equipment?

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

kmsparty

a very nice system. pricing reasonable. only suggestion is going up to the Preferred Series Condenser over the Legacy Series. I would ask dealer to upgrade to the Preferred 15 over the Legacy series,of course on his dime.

what mdl evap coil? you do want the ATA Carrier/Bryant coil.

IMO