Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sea_cliff_guy

"tap" into first flr zone to heat basement?

Sea_Cliff_Guy
9 years ago

Hello all,

I have a high velocity (unico) hvac system w/2 zones - 1st and 2nd floors. it's hydronic hot air sys.

Our basement has one finished room (playroom) which is just too cold in winter. my installer put a few ducts in this room, but it's poorly insulated w/original leaded windows.

A master plumber down the block offered to help me add a radiator to this room to solve the problem. He advises we tap into first floor zone (the pipe that goes to the air handler) rather than add a new zone and pump. I like this idea because the boiler would never fire just to heat the basement, saving money.

My question though - is there a danger of "stealing" too much heat from the air handler so that my first floor would be too cold on really cold days? We have a Victorian (not tight) house. We plan on using a small (refurbished antique) radiator, but first floor must come first.

I'm guessing there are calculations to determine how much hot water (or BTU's ?) the air handler needs, and how much the added radiator would use too? If you have thoughts on how to figure this out or could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

thank you.

Comments (2)