Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnyp_2009

Only K-12

johnnyp_2009
14 years ago

Wow do I need some advice on my infinity system. Its a 21 inch wide upflow, mounted in a 1800sqft two story home with 3 bedrooms.

New Carrier system with all the gadgets.

Model # 24ANA748A0031020 S/N 2709E02351

Model # 58MVC080 S/N 2109A02462

1. Having issues with the installer, two rooms still don't cool properly and I keep getting an alarm that the filter is dirty or needs to be replaced.

My background 24 year Navy technician in charge of multi-million dollar weapons systems, from radar to weapons delivery, nothing I can't fix to get warheads on foreheads.

2. I ran the install program 3 times under different circumstances to get the static pressure which I was told should not be over 1".

First run system as installed by lame installers. 1.45 inches TOO HIGH @ 1445 CFM "Please consider duct or filter change.

Second run after running the AC checks and Furnace Checks (see below).

1.54 inches TOO HIGH @ 1445 CRM "Please consider duct or filter change.

AC CHECK HIGH static pressure 1.35-1.38 @ 1400 CFM

AC CHECK LOW static pressure .65 @ 882 CFM

Furnace CHECK HIGH static pressure 1.20-1.22 @ 1220 CFM

Furnace CHECK MEDIUM static pressure .33 @ 664 CFM

Furnace CHECK LOW static pressure .21 @ 510 CFM

Third run with the return louver removed, brand new filter still in place. 1.45 inches TOO HIGH @ 1445 CFM "Please consider duct or filter change.

A. Now I looked in the literature assembly bookleet No. 335749-701 page 21 my floor opening should be 20 1/8 x 24 3/4, my floor opening is actually 14 x 20 could this be the problem??

B. Maybe the ducting is the problem, what say you?

I appreciate any knowledge in this area thanks in advance.

Johnny P

Comments (2)

• classicdave
    14 years ago

Johnny,
    There is a problem with the return and supply duct. The infinity and evolution systems are the only ones that actually look for static pressure so now you know you you may have always had this problem. Unless it's filter or trash that is blocking air flow.

What do you mean by floor opening? Is the furnace sitting on the floor over a return duct opening? Is there a clear passage way of the return air? The 14 x 20 what is the depth? does it make a sharp turn 90? Take off the blower door cover and run a static test see what you have.

What type of filter are you using and you are not double filtering are you?

I would be checking the supply duct and the return duct

For the supply duct is it a long run? does it have many 90 in the trunk line? I would make some opening in the supply duct as close to the furnace just to check static pressure.

Also hopefully there is nothing blocking air flow in the evaporator coil.

No get up there soldier and let's get some answers! :-)

Oh and thank you for your service!!

• johnnyp_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey thanks for the thanks! I loved everyday of it and I volunteered for it all, best choice I ever made.

Ok. the situation of the opening on the bottom. The unit sits on a hollow wooden box located in the garage. The box is 19 inches High, and its 37 inches wide and 36 inches deep. The return louver is located in the house but does not contain the filter. I removed that louver as stated above and the static pressure tests were the same. The opening I was referring to is the opening in the top of the box, leading to the filter and the bottom of the unit. The bottom of the unit is 21 x 30, the filter is 20 x 25, and the actual opening that allows air flow to the bottom of the unit is 14 x 20. The manual says that opening should be 19 3/8 x 24 1/8, and I was wondering if that measurement was an issue that could cause that static pressure to be so high.

I am using a media type filter and I am not double filtering.

There are probably three 90s in the supply piping, and its flex type ducting, it goes all the way to the attic on the second floor and then is distributed to the 3 bedrooms located on the second floor. The downstairs gets some serious airflow. I am guessing on the ducting turns because I would have to rip out a lot of drywall to actually see it.

The evaporator coil is brand new and came with the new furnace and condenser.

I am still working with the installer on this and plan to meet with him on Friday, but I like to have the upper hand on knowledge when I'm dealing with them.

Thanks again for all the previous comments, and I look forward to your advice.

Thanks Johnny P