Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vrf/vrv

Posted by amtrucker22 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 21:36

Has anyone looked into using a VRF heating and A/C system in a new residential build? I had a project manager mention it to me today at work and was curious to see if these systems are a reasonable solution for homes.

Dug around a little bit and I don't seem to find too much information on these systems which kinda scares me.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vrf/vrv

If you can go the mini split route, try Daikin mini splits or commercial versions of Mitsubishi and maybe other mini splits.

o

I will dig around on the Daikin mini splits. The ones that the project manager used were Mitsubishi's.

Are these systems starting to become popular in residential builds?

o

It depends on your area. Where we are building is known for its "green" building practices and they seem a much more common option than where I live now. I think someone would look at me cross-eyed if I suggested a split system where we are now.

There's no doubt in my mind that they are more efficient than your average furnace/ducted system and they are extremely popular in europe and asia (hence most the foreign manufacturers). USA residential market has been slow to catch on but I think they will eventually. I wouldn't consider them if there wasn't a plethora of contractors in the area where we are building, for maintenance and repair reasons.

o

I was told that Daikin tends to be more expensive than other residential systems. I think that is because it is more comparable with the commercial lines from others. With the higher end stuff, you can make hot water. That is true with conventional ducted systems as well, but try to find someone that can implement it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here