Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AC Compressor always hums

Posted by robcy (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 20:47

The compressor in the outside unit always hums. The system is cooling normally, but the compressor is always humming.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AC Compressor always hums

The compressor will hum when it is operating. I am assuming you are implying it also hums when it is supposed to be on an off cycle. In that case, the relay is probably stuck. Are you sure it is the compressor you hear humming? I've heard some loud humming contactor relays when they are loose. If it's a heat pump, the reversing valve relay could be humming.

o

Yes it hums when its on the off cycle. It changes in frequency from pretty loud to almost unnoticeable. It always hums, all day. I have two identical units in the house, and the other is totally quiet when its off.

o

Are they heat pumps?

o

The first answer I had is the old joke... it's humming because it doesn't know the words to the song...

Anyway, What I suspect is that the relay coil or some other part is humming. You can't really know what it is unless you open it up. Since we are at the end of the cooling season, have a service person look at it when you have the furnace checked.

o

Someone told me to try starting a heating cycle, and I found that the compressor does not cycle into heat. It have a reversable heat pump. I am in FL so I will require my AC for a couple of more months. I will be honest I know enought about AC systems to set the temp, and expect it all to simply work. The humming continues.

o

My guess is that it's a relay or a transformer coil. Have it checked when you have your regular maintenance done to avoid a trip charge.

o

Find the breaker that is for the inside air handler,
turn it off, if the humming stops it has to do with something in the 24v controls.
It is probably the reversing valve solenoid being energized in the cooling mode. Turn the thermostat to heat lower the temp so it does not come on. Does it still hum?
Most the time you may hear a loud hum if there is no 220v power to the outside condenser or if the contactor is not making full contact to run the condenser and the thermostat is calling for cooling/heating. That is the Contractor coil energized humming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here