Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carova_2008

Which Closed Loop Geothermal HVAC System?

carova_2008
15 years ago

Hi!

I have two (hopefully simple) questions:

1) Which manufacturers have R410A two stage systems with scroll compressors, variable speed air handlers, re-heat capability (for dehumidification), and internal water-to-water subsystems (for constant hot water, not just during AC season)?

2) Which brands would you suggest? Which brands would you avoid?

Thanks!

Vince

Comments (13)

• fsq4cw
    15 years ago

Virtually all GSHP manufacturers have the type of equipment youÂre asking about.

Google ClimateMaster, WaterFurnace, Carrier, Maritime Geothermal, Florida Heat Pump for starters.

Use the link below to find a qualified installer in youÂre area.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: IGSHPA, International Ground Source Heat Pump Association at Oklahoma State University

• funnycide
    15 years ago

I know Climatemaster and Water Furnace make units with all the bells and whistles. I'm sure there are other brands too.
    I'm not sure what you mean by internal water to water subsystem. You can get a hot water generator to make hot water when the compressor runs. I'm not sure what you are looking for.

• carova_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funnycide,

Nearly all GLHP manufacturers have "desuperheaters" which take waste heat from the compressor and use it to provide hot water. On the two-stage units however, they operate on the "Low", extremely efficient mode 90% of the year and provide minimal waste heat that can be used for domestic hot water. I am looking for a system that has a dedicated "water-to-water" cycle that can provide continuous hot water even during the periods when no space heating or cooling is required for the house. Nearly all manufactures have these as seperate units. I am looking for one that is integrated into the HVAC sysstem.

Vince

• fsq4cw
    15 years ago

"I am looking for a system that has a dedicated "water-to-water" cycle that can provide continuous hot water even during the periods when no space heating or cooling is required for the house."

What youÂre looking for is a ÂNordic Triple Function GSHP.

Go to:

http://www.nordicghp.com/mg/

Click on: ÂProductsÂ

Click on: ÂTF-SeriesÂ

Click on: ÂR410a Models PDF Download the Installation ManualÂ

Everything you want to know  and more - is right there!

You can also download the PDF for the R22 Models.

BTW: I cannot, as of yet, say that in all my travels that IÂve seen a better built HP than Nordic.

IMO

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: Nordic Triple Function Series GSHP

• carova_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fsq4cw,

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Vince

• funnycide
    15 years ago

I'm not familar with the Nordic model but Water Furnace makes a similiar model. The disclaimer at least with the WF unit is that there is only 1 compressor and it runs for either space heat (air) or water heat (radiant) not both. The space heat takes priority. This setup works good for bathroom floor heat which is supplemental heat.
    If the compressor runs a really long time to satisify the space demand than the radiant heat will be missing. Not a big deal but something that people should be aware.

I'm not sure what you are planning on using the water heat for.

• carova_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funntcide,

The Water Furnace Synergy3D is the system that you are suggesting. I am surprised that it is not more efficient (24 EER / 4.2 COP) compared to their top-of-the-line Envision unit (30 EER / 5 COP), but at least it is integrated. Thanks for the pointer!

Vince

Here is a link that might be useful: Synergy3D

• fsq4cw
    15 years ago

Re: carova 2008

"The Water Furnace Synergy3D is the system that you are suggesting. I am surprised that it is not more efficient (24 EER / 4.2 COP) compared to their top-of-the-line Envision unit (30 EER / 5 COP)"

A COP of 4.2 is very good! COP of 5 is even (marginally) better. How do you think they achieve those higher COPs? Larger ground heat exchangers, more HDPE pipe, more drilling, more grouting, more fluid/antifreeze etc Guess what  more expensive! Should you still do it? MaybeÂ

SR

• carova_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fsq4cw,

Good point! The tradeoff is important if the payback period is considered.

Vince

• funnycide
    15 years ago

That's not really true. The manufacturers test the units to the same ARI standards for each unit. I believe it is 77° entering water for cooling and 32° entering water for heating. So if comparing units you can tell which units are more efficient (at those conditions).
    Now you can make any geothermal unit more efficient by lowering the EWT for cooling and raising the EWT in the winter. This is typically done by increasing the ground loop.
    It is be possible to calculate the payback for increasing the groundloop but it is very involved and wouldn't be done for a residential job.
    I suspect that the reason the Synergy3 isn't the most efficient is the demand for that line is most likely pretty low and it isn't worth the money for WF to redesign the unit to include the latest design.

Vince, you never said what you want to use the hot water for.

• fsq4cw
    15 years ago

Re: funnycide

"That's not really true."

I believe it is really true. HereÂs why, during the Canadian GeoExchange Coalition Residential Designers Course, attended by the top technical trainer from WaterFurnace, this exact subject was brought up by the instructor  one of the best minds in geothermal design in North America, this was his contention, that the loops have to be longer for higher COP units, all else being equal. Of course we all turned to the WaterFurnace rep that was in attendance with all his software and he concurred, that this in fact was indeed the case.

SR

• carova_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funnycide,

"Vince, you never said what you want to use the hot water for."

Domestic hot water

Vince

• shark08
    15 years ago

Hi Vince I am looking at a Nordic system R65HACW-P1T and although I did not consider a triple function heat pump, I am now curious as to how you concluded that a triple function heat pump would be beneficial (cost wise) for hot water versus only using the desuperheater in the heating and cooling season and supplementing it (example) with electric hot water?
    Thanks
    Shark08